Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sometimes in blue water we find ourselves far enough apart that in an emergency I'd go up rather than chase her down. You can disparage that, but my experience since 1985 is that buddies being somewhat separated in clear water is more common than uncommon.

I think it is incredibly common and easy to do. The underwater world is beautiful and can easily distract us. Few have good enough buddy skills to compensate.

okay, how about "pull my finger"?

(I either didn't read that thread, or I was narked and didn't remember)

I'm holdin' out for the doubles, as Maxbottomtime posted in 2011:

spare-air-doubles-jpg.497424.jpg

The OP is listed as a DIR Practitioner and is asking about Spare Air. I smell a troll.

No, I don't think so. I could be mistaken, but I believe I have met the OP.

Keep in mind that one automatically gets stuck with the "DIR Practitioner" badge as a result of having opted-in to that group, and lots of people opt in out of interest and then never do much with it.

I have heard you can screw the Spare Air reg into a paintball bottle. It would be an easy way to double the gas but then it is that much bigger and I'd have to figure out new mounts.

You are not going to be breathing it long enough to worry about the percentage of O2. Spare Air is to quickly get you out of a bad situation.
You make a good point.

Why Spare Air and not a proper pony bottle?
I only dive in OW currently. Saw an ad for the old one once and didn’t think it had enough air to be worth it. But the new one could help someone in OW who might need it before an emergency ascent in OW. I’m mainly looking at general considerations for OW divers and students in case their buddies get separated or are unreliable. Just wanted to pick everyone’s brain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom