Great White Shark Incident @ Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Great white shark bites into scuba diver's kayak, leaves 2 teeth behind

“This is the new normal. We have to share the ocean with them,” he told The Times

Um, aren’t they sharing the ocean with us?

Strange that a "veteran diver" would have said this... Maybe it's just me but I would think anyone on this forum would agree it's their world, not ours, we are just their guests....

Great white shark bites into scuba diver's kayak, leaves 2 teeth behind

“This is the new normal. We have to share the ocean with them,” he told The Times

Um, aren’t they sharing the ocean with us?

Strange that a "veteran diver" would have said this... Maybe it's just me but I would think anyone on this forum would agree it's their world, not ours, we are just their guests....

I guess it depends on your perception. We could make Great Whites extinct, but Great Whites can't make us extinct. We are the apex predator on the Earth. That includes both land and sea. We are sharing the world with everything else, and sometimes we do a really bad job at it. So being the intelligent apex predators we are, it's our responsibility to "share" the ocean with them if we want them to survive.

According to the article, the size of the teeth pulled out of the kayak put the GWS at 19 feet long!

S**t, that is one big freaking fish! The GWS that swam by me in 2001 off the Catalina Isthmus in 90 feet of water was smaller but still at least twice my length and it looked huge.

I guess it depends on your perception. We could make Great Whites extinct, but Great Whites can't make us extinct. We are the apex predator on the Earth. That includes both land and sea. We are sharing the world with everything else, and sometimes we do a really bad job at it. So being the intelligent apex predators we are, it's our responsibility to "share" the ocean with them if we want them to survive.

Agree 100%.

A great white incidented a kayak. Geeez! Is that what the PC crowd calls attacks now, incidents? Forgive me but words mean things.

A great white incidented a kayak. Geeez! Is that what the PC crowd calls attacks now, incidents? Forgive me but words mean things.

Well.... technically and semantically speaking (er writing), the GWS attacked the kayak and the attack was an incident (defined as an "an event or occurrence") involving a GWS and a kayak. So because I'm sitting here at my desk in my office trying to do LITERALLY ANYTHING other than actual work, I have responded to say that IMHO I believe the OP was semantically correct in his title, "Great White Shark Incident @ Catalina." Although now I am second guessing the appropriateness of the use of the "@" symbol. :):poke:

If that was an "attack," the kayaker in question would not be giving that interview, or at the very least would not have a kayak. A big white shark that wants something dead isn't just going to nudge it, put it in its mouth, and then decide it's not worth any more trouble. It's going to hit like a truck with a bear trap strapped to the bumper. "Incident" is fair.

Mostly I'm thinking that guy is extremely lucky to a) have that encounter and get away unscathed, and b) have those pearly whites for his mantel. They make the subadult tiger tooth in my drawer look like a guitar pick and are bigger than the beat-up megalodon teeth I got in Venice two years ago.

If that was an "attack," the kayaker in question would not be giving that interview, or at the very least would not have a kayak. A big white shark that wants something dead isn't just going to nudge it, put it in its mouth, and then decide it's not worth any more trouble. It's going to hit like a truck with a bear trap strapped to the bumper. "Incident" is fair.

Mostly I'm thinking that guy is extremely lucky to a) have that encounter and get away unscathed, and b) have those pearly whites for his mantel. They make the subadult tiger tooth in my drawer look like a guitar pick and are bigger than the beat-up megalodon teeth I got in Venice two years ago.

What was experienced was most likely a test bite. A GW can tell from a bite if there is enough fat in an object. The yak didn't meet the min. fat content so the attack was stopped. These are fish not humans.

Back
Top Bottom