First time to Cozumel -- how much is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't you just tilt your head down with a beanie to let the air out?

It really doesn't work that way - I wear a hooded vest and you get balloon head rather quickly with the trapped air bubble. A small hole is all it takes.

It really doesn't work that way - I wear a hooded vest and you get balloon head rather quickly with the trapped air bubble. A small hole is all it takes.

A hood, and a hooded vest would be a little different than a beanie. I would think a beanie would be a little easier to vent.

A hood, and a hooded vest would be a little different than a beanie. I would think a beanie would be a little easier to vent.

Little different maybe, same principle though. They fit snug, they trap air - other than standing on your head or a little hole on top - the air don't come out on it's own LOL

Can't you just tilt your head down with a beanie to let the air out?

You would have to tilt your head pretty far down and perhaps use a hand to push it out quickly. And since the air is coming from your exhaust bubbles, you'd have to repeat the process regularly throughout the dive. Or you can remove that hassle once and for all with a little hole in the top of the beanie. The small hole doesn't affect warmth (and thermal isn't likely a big concern if you're just wearing a beanie). Id there some reason NOT to put a small hole in the beanie?

You would have to tilt your head pretty far down and perhaps use a hand to push it out quickly. And since the air is coming from your exhaust bubbles, you'd have to repeat the process regularly throughout the dive. Or you can remove that hassle once and for all with a little hole in the top of the beanie. The small hole doesn't affect warmth (and thermal isn't likely a big concern if you're just wearing a beanie). Id there some reason NOT to put a small hole in the beanie?

Why don't they put grommet holes in these products to help with air and keep the product from tearing? I would think self placed holes could easily tear.

I think the OP's question about depth is worth more comment. Yes, you can stay above the DM and the rest of the group, but Cozumel is all about drift diving, and the current varies with depth. My first trip to Coz I stayed about 15 ft above the group, and was surprised to find myself alone mid-way through the dive. I thought I had lagged behind, but was actually 50 yds ahead of the group. The current is generally slower the deeper you go, so I was riding the jet stream compared to my buddy.

Yes, I should have been more aware of being separated from my buddy, but I was a new-ish diver and focused on all the pretty fishies.

Next Point: although I was separated, I had practiced launching my SMB and was able to send it up from the safety stop to get the attention of the boat. That is a very useful skill, especially in Coz.

So, should you stay with the DM if they go below 18m? IMO, yes, probably. As I recall, PADI's 18m limit is the depth you can dive with a regular buddy, but you are "allowed" to go deeper with a DM or guide. ("Allowed" is quoted, because there are no SCUBA police.) Talk to the DM; they typically size up your diving in the first dive or two and can offer advice.

Enjoy!

Since we're staying at the Iberostar, I figure we might as well use the on-site shop, Dressel. Communication has been pretty good so far, I'm now at the point where I need to figure out how much diving is too much.

Are you asking so you know what type of package to get from Dressel? Have been to the Iberostar in Coz for a day of diving as part of a package from the mainland. Nice resort and the op being on site is convenient.

Couple of things to consider with Dressel:

* Once you pick your dive package from the Dressel website, you then set up the dive days with the onsite op. They have a display with their dive schedule for the week. As you have already found, there are several options for diving (2 morning, 1 morning/1 afternoon, night, etc.) I did an 11 dive package over 2 weeks and was content, but we did several topside activities. With Dressel, if you decided you wanted to do more than the package you selected, I don't know if you can purchase extra dives onsite or if you have to get back online.

* You probably saw that you get 20% off for booking online, but also the AOW course is free, except for the cost of materials. There would be bookwork involved, which isn't a lot of fun during a vacation, but another option is doing the online course, so you can just do the 5 dives when you get to Coz, but the online course cost $$.

* If you consider the cenote as a possible dive day (2 dives), Dressel will have everything worked out, such as the ferry and transportation in Playa Del Carmen. You'll make a stop at another dive op to pick up the gear you need before heading to the cenote. A neat experience but I'd recommend it to someone who feels comfortable in enclosed areas and with how to determine proper weighting for the different conditions.

* Whether you have your own gear or use theirs, they have a nice system of keeping it for you - easy to access for your next dive.

* If you have some apprehension, don't hesitate to talk to the Dressel staff. They usually have a big staff and will accommodate your needs.

Have a great time!

@BigDaddyGlad, I think you and your buddy have made the best choice for you. I'm not sure if you folks intentionally meant to be in Coz during Carnival or it was a happy accident. Either way, fewer dives will probably be for the best. Try to remember to cool the tequila the night before. Diving with a hangover is no good.

Normally, I'd support the recommendation for heading over to mainland for cenote diving but you're only there for a week and you've got some island enjoyment plans already.

Have a wonderful time and I look forward to reading your trip report when you get back.

Good morning Bigdaddy
My dive buddy and I are heading to Coz on Oct 16 - 23 and diving with Dressels
Our plan at the moment to do 18 day dives and 2 night dives that week with a cenote dive in there at some point ( just the boys no wives hence the number LOL)
this is our 2nd time to Coz, the first time we ended up purchasing more dives cause we couldn't get enough now that the southern part of the reef being closed we have been informed that Dressels has modified their schedule of dive sites and added C56 wreck which is cool
So we will see how it all plays out
I'll report back
As for how many dives for you will depend on how tired and comfortable you are in the water as a new open water diver don't over due but enjoy the drift oh yea speaking of which just go with the flow and try not to fight it
Have fun
Talk to you all in a couple weeks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom