Tour operators start ban on full-face snorkel masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still don’t understand why this sort of masks should be so dangerous they have to forbid them ...//...
The masks aren't all that dangerous. Doesn't take much to learn how to use them. I have an ACUC cert for full-on scuba ffm's.

They made us do all sorts of annoying stuff. Bottom line is that if you want a floaty head, happen to be a breathing gas hog (positive pressure), and need a fog-free wide field of vision, well, ignore the roar and treat yourself to one. I had one, sold it.

No disrespect, just more trouble than it was worth...

I'm assuming that happy-diver is talking about the last paragraph:

"Health Department also said the belief that using a traditional mask and snorkel is safer than a full-face snorkel mask is a myth. Snorkeling-related drownings occurred before full-face masks became available, it said, and “there is currently no evidence proving that a specific type of snorkel equipment is dangerous.”"

There is a difference between "currently no evidence" and myth. Having seen dozens of commercial diving students panic during helmet ditch and don training (under controlled conditions and after careful instruction and demonstration) I can easily envision a scenario where a snorkel FFM gets slightly dislodged by a wave and floods, leading to panic in an untrained wearer who may have been attracted to the mask's apparent ease of use. Full face masks require training and practice in order to be used safely, as several posters have already pointed out. CO2 buildup *shouldn't* happen in a mask with a properly designed and sealed oral-nasal mask and snorkel system, but in a user with a small or unusually shaped face I could see it, especially while actively swimming.

Best regards,
DDM

I’m still puzzled... I’m a big fan of mask + snorkel because that’s the only way to do freediving... and I would say this is a long way more dangerous than any full face mask. Any swimming activity that implies to hold the breath and dive is potentially dangerous. I was taught not to do that when I’m alone, not even in apparently safe environments. If full face masks are potentially dangerous, old fashioned mask and snorkel sets are a lot more dangerous and should be banned either...if persons have an exceptionally small face, or a medical condition, a FFM can be dangerous. But then any other piece of swimming gear could be potentially dangerous. Scuba masks, snorkels, BCD, etc etc are meant for ‘average’ people. If someone has specific conditions it’s totally different, the same gear could be unfit

This again? Full face snorkel masks seem to be up there with split fins in the "you're gonna die" category on sb. Banning the things seems a bit silly to me, but then again I don't sell a competing product. With the popularity these things have, I'd expect to see hundreds dead every day if it was a significant issue. Sure, there's some risk... but there's risk anytime humans go into the ocean regardless of what we bring with us.

I still don’t understand why this sort of masks should be so dangerous they have to forbid them...

Well that's the usual reaction for problems that cost lives and that no one has a complete understanding of the mechanism.

That being said, would I not let my wife use one. The reason is that she is just this side of panic when snorkeling, she won't unless I'm there holding her hand. Over time she will let me freedive as long as I get right back quickly. If she does panic, she rips off the mask and snorkel, and calms down enough to be a decent swimmer. I don't get it, but...

The FFM Snorkles are made for folks like her, and even ones that can't swim. The problem is that if the mask fits wrong, and/or made poorly, the chance of CO2 increases, and with it the increased chance of panic. Add a mask that may not come off quick and easy, because no one thinks they will have any problem, or need any training, with a child's toy while floating. Then toss in a old, overweight, out of shape tourist that's primed for a cardiac event, while panicked and thinks they are going to die because they can't get the mask off, and the perfect storm is a brewing.

Basicly, they would be out of business if they were to ban old, overweight, out of shape tourists that may be waiting for their first, or most recent, cardiac event. So no FFM Snorkels. It's easier than checking the masks for fit, type, and emergency removal procedures.

It gets down to their shop, their rules.

Bob

or perhaps it is the false sense of security some might get from a mask that covers the entire face as opposed to those other ones that only cover the eyes and nose and require a seperate tube to breath from.

ohh the horror.

personally, I could care less what they ban.

also, I bet it might be related to land lubbers buying one of these full face masks after being scared of the water their whole lives and being as in shape as a hippopotamus.
Hippopotamuses are actually in great shape.

Contraption.
Just learn to use a regular mask and snorkel. Anything goes wrong just tear it off and stick your head up. Seen it a hundred times with different people abalone diving that probably shouldn’t have been out there.
I’ll bet most or all people using FFM snorkels probably shouldn’t be out there in the first place. The ultimate gear solution to a skills problem IMO.
But, there’s money to be made, so....

Back
Top Bottom