Question about AquaLung i3 system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
I never had a AquaLung i3 series BC. Not sure if i get it right. It seems that it will open all the dump valve once the diver press the lever trying to deflate bc. The air will leave from one of the valve.
My question is, will that make sea enter the other valve easier since there is no air coming out from it?

I use an Aqua Lung back inflate i3. I have never had more than the normal few drops of water inside my BC.

How does it prevent that?
There a certain amount of tension created when you air up the BC. When you release the air, the tension squeezes it out, not allowing much water in. I was pretty impressed with that part of it.

@The Chairman , Understood. However i3 open both up and down valve, if a diver is in standing posture, the air will be vented from the up valve, and that makes no air squeeze out from the down valve, right?

@The Chairman , Understood. However i3 open both up and down valve, if a diver is in standing posture, the air will be vented from the up valve, and that makes no air squeeze out from the down valve, right?
I can't say that I used a mirror when I vented it, so I can't tell you. However, pressure can make air come out of all openings at the same time. It's not much pressure, but it was there. It should be pointed out that I am very, very rarely over-weighted and have been known to dive without a bladder. If I'm diving a bladder, I let all the air out on the surface and usually have to breathe myself down. I almost never get water in my bladder due to my habits.

I have an Aqualung Dimension that could be equipped with the i3 but isn't. I still get some water in. A number of my buddies have the i3 and really like it, they do not complain about excess water.

OK it seems that it won't get excess water. Now, I just wonder how does it achieve that

I'm pretty sure there's a one-way check valve at each dump.

After all there's no scenario where you would want water (or air) to enter via any of the dumps.

Somewhere on Aqualung .com there's a video that explains how it works.

Yes. On the Aqualung flat E-valves (other BCDs besides i3 too) the valve that opens when pulled is behind a cover plate that holds a one way exhaust valve, similar to the exhaust valve on a 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom