Primary light recommendations....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So, I’m looking into another primary light.....these are the requirements please post your recommendations and thanks in advance.

2000-3000 Lumen (or better)
Burn time 90-120 minutes
Cordless
Goodman handle mountable
$300-400ish

Considering the Kracken, BigBlue and DR LX20....looking for more options. Thanks.

short answer, that light does not exist

Long Answer

LX20 is only 1100 lumen, but ticks the rest of the boxes
Big Blue has the TL3500 at the top end of your budget, but it will only be about 1500-2000 lumen, and ticks the rest of the boxes
Kraken has no actual specs on their lights listed, but I doubt it's actually over 2000 lumen, likely the same as the Big Blue though since it's an overrated chinese light.
Of those three, the LX20 is a no-brainer IMO

If you want one that actually gives you the brightness, then the Dive Rite HP50 will actually give you 2500+ lumen, 90min burn time on high, cordless, with a goodman handle, but is $700. That is the only light I'm aware of that ticks the technical boxes despite the claims of many manufacturers

The LX20 is probably the closest, but I'm not a fan of the light or the QR mount.

The Halcyon Flare probably fits the bill for everything but $$$$.

I don't buy BigBlue as a rule except one smoking deal on a video light just because I wanted to check it out.

Where would you like to make the compromise? Cost? Output? Etc.

Where would you like to make the compromise? Cost? Output? Etc.
Reminds me of design choices with clients. There is a triangle with three points; Fast, Cheap, and Good. You can have two. Just let me know which two you want.

I think there is actually an upgraded LX20 coming out soon. I know they have upgraded the chip/driver at least once in that light already. I have a couple hundred dives on mine without any issues,

@JohnnyC the flare doesn't have enough lumens to fit the bill either. It's a bang up light, and I have one, but it's only like 1500 lumen.

I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to be 2k, but I could be entirely mistaken. Doesn't help that Halcyon doesn't list the emitter they're using.

And I get that lumen is a crock measurement, but everybody does it. Rating your lights in lux when everybody uses lumens is lame. Just post the specs, let everyone figure it out for themselves.

@JohnnyC I agree, but it's because they can crank the lux numbers up with their super tight beam angles since they're using gargantuan heads. The lumen numbers aren't impressive, but most customers aren't informed enough to be able to figure that out unfortunately. Dive Rite thankfully started using lumens relatively recently, as did Light Monkey, and Halcyon did on the original focus/flare at 710 lumen, but all they said with the 2.0 was they produced twice as much.

Looking at the lights you're considering, I would throw the Xtar D26 1600 into the mix.

It's only "1600" lumens, though.

It runs on one 26650 battery and will get over 2 hours burn on its brightest mode.

It has a 1/4-20 threaded hole on the bottom. I use mine in an Oxycheq Raider light sock soft Goodman.

You didn't mention beam angle as a criteria, but the Xtar is tighter than at least some of those that you mentioned. It's about 8 degrees. I think their website says something bigger, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's wrong. I shined it on a wall, took some measurements and did some trig.

They run about $90.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom