Diving off Cruise ships...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been lucky on the dive trips I've booked through the ships. I've been on four cruises now (living where they leave from and being able to go on short notice makes them more affordable). I have attempted to make arrangements other than through the ship's excurison office, but th earrival/departure times don't always allow this and I had to cancel once when the ship arrived later in St. Thomas than originally scheduled.

Folks have complained about the "cattle boats", but I have yet to be on one. Some of the ops the cruise lines use have big boats built for lots of divers, but the most divers I've ever gone out with is 9. I've never felt crowded on board. They pick you up and deliver you back to your ship - often the dive boat pulls right up along side.

Ship's excursions are generally more expensive than a do it yourself. But some folks feel the piece of mind knowing you're going to get back on time does have some value and relieves stress.

One thing that helps me get over what can be perceived as a less than optimal dive experience is that I keep remembering that this is a family vacation that I happen to get some diving in.

Marc

Folks have complained about the "cattle boats", but I have yet to be on one.
I have been on some cruises where I was the only one on the boat besides the DM and the boat captain. On the other hand I have also hit some cattle boats.

some folks feel the piece of mind knowing you're going to get back on time does have some value and relieves stress.

No question about that. I was on one cruise where there was a group that had charted a boat in GC (our first stop). The ship was late leaving Miami due to waiting for people to arrive as result of snow storms all over the northeast. The ship did not make up the time and was several hours late in GC. Those that charted the boat on their own got in one dive and paid full price for the charter. Those that went through the ship did one dive also, but paid half price. (oh! and the boat was in constant contact with the ship during the entire excursion.)

One thing that helps me get over what can be perceived as a less than optimal dive experience is that I keep remembering that this is a family vacation that I happen to get some diving in.

My wife doesn't dive but loves the cruise thing.
Compromise! That's what it is.

I think diving and cruising meet the needs of hubby and me perfectly. He doesn't dive. I could never afford a liveaboard. When we cruise, we don't have to worry about driving, packing multiple times, finding hotels, eating. He gets to relax and be entertained (ship shows and movies), and I get to dive at locations I'll most likely never see again. You might not enjoy everything and everyone on the ship, but you'd probably run across that at any land-based resort. Plus we think cruising is a good value if I make arrangements to dive apart from ship excursions.

redhatmama:
I would have been better off spending my vacation money for a week in one of the ports rather than a cruise. Everyone else's mileage may vary, but if you enjoy the company of other divers or people interested in the ports themselves and other cultures, you won't be happy on a cruise ship like the Norwegian Sea.
My experience with cruise ships is limited to the Norwegian Sea, but I wholeheartedly agree with you. With the possible exception of a windjammer, you won't catch me on one of those trips again.

MSilvia:
My experience with cruise ships is limited to the Norwegian Sea, but I wholeheartedly agree with you. With the possible exception of a windjammer, you won't catch me on one of those trips again.

I went on Sea at the end of September. As I live in Houston and there was no airfare involved, it was a cheap vacation.Bought cheapest room but got upgraded. However I would not do it again. The sight of all the drunks on the "fun days at sea" and obese people stuffing themselves would not be anything I would want to repeat. Dove in Cozumel and Roatan. Lined up my own dives. Cozumel with Dive Paradise(only myself plus one other diver plus DM) on a fast boat. Roatan with Subway watersports(same thing as Cozumel). Was met at dock in Roatan. In Cancun went on snorkel trip on a small catamaran. That was fun.

But I think I will spend my money on dedicated dive trips or other land only adventure trips. That was my first cruise in 10 years. Probably will be my last for a long time also.

leiserom:
I went on Sea at the end of September. As I live in Houston and there was no airfare involved, it was a cheap vacation.Bought cheapest room but got upgraded. However I would not do it again. The sight of all the drunks on the "fun days at sea" and obese people stuffing themselves would not be anything I would want to repeat. Dove in Cozumel and Roatan. Lined up my own dives. Cozumel with Dive Paradise(only myself plus one other diver plus DM) on a fast boat. Roatan with Subway watersports(same thing as Cozumel). Was met at dock in Roatan. In Cancun went on snorkel trip on a small catamaran. That was fun.

But I think I will spend my money on dedicated dive trips or other land only adventure trips. That was my first cruise in 10 years. Probably will be my last for a long time also.

My...My you are a little hard on your fellow passengers!

One ought to keep in mind that the majority of people taking a cruise on one of the major cruise lines are not divers, nor are they interested in such activities. They are enjoying themselves doing whatever it is that they enjoy doing, if this includes drinking and eating...so be it! They are entitled do enjoy their vacation time... after all they paid for it. A lot of these people are seniors who have earned the right to kick back and enjoy what little life they have left. If this includes getting a little "tipsy" or overeating that great food... I can't think of a better place to do it! No driving home, etc. One can always diet and abstain when one gets home.

As others have pointed here, out a lot of married people have spouses that are non-divers and enjoy cruise travel. The diver member of such a union is lucky if he/she can get in a dive while on a cruise. (My wife is a non-diver and loves to cruise.) So we do at least once a year. She also goes with me on dive trips and live-aboards, at least once a year.

I have given up trying to dive on the cruises we taken (5) so far. It just doesn't work out for me. There are many reasons for this. 1.) I don't like to use rental SCUBA equipment. 2.) We usually do the Formal nights, in our own formal dress (new airline weight limits on baggage.) 3.) We almost always travel with another couple (Non-Divers) and like to do things together. 4.) Just the logistics of trying to arrange the diving, equipment, getting back and forth to the ship. etc.

5.) Some cruises I have taken and will take do not offer SCUBA or snorkle trips. (Next trip on Princess from Osaka, Japan, Via Nagasaki, Japan, Pusan Korea, Sapporo, Japan, Russia, Dutch Harbor, Cities in Alaska and to Seattle.)

In time, you might just learn to enjoy a few of the things that you are so crititical of or at least be a little more forgiving of others in their pursuit of happiness. :wink:

I think the bottom line is you can do what you want to do. We did the formal nights, too, but I carted all my clothes and gear incl. a 3 mil shortie and underwater camera housing in my carry-on baggage and small backpack. It took a little research and some luck, but I did at least one shore dive at each stop without using the ship's excursions. If I didn't do those dives while on the cruise, I doubt I would ever be able to dive in those countries.

6Gill:
One ought to keep in mind that the majority of people taking a cruise on one of the major cruise lines are not divers, nor are they interested in such activities.
Exactly. If you expect divers to be catered to on a cruise, you're likely to be disappointed. If you want to dive, IMO you're better off making your own arrangements.

I just got back from Royal Carribean cruise out of New Orleans. We had a great time and dove Key West and Cozumel. Had a great time. We had our 6 year old as well, so the Kids program was perfect, as we dove and he played. But, now I want to spend a week in Cozumel. What resort has a kids program?

I hate large cruise ships, but love diving and sailing. My sife is a snorkler...no scuba. We compromised on Windstar out of Tahiti last summer. Most dives on zodiacks off the ship...small groups. The dive team does a good job of separating the serious from the non-serious divers. They got us within spitting distance of some 16 ft. lemon sharks, mantas, you name it. ONe or two dives were below 110 ft.

Of the 120 passengers I'd say about 30 did some diving with us, although there seemed to be a core group of about 12.

Not like a live aboard, but for a compromise, pretty good. We are going to do it again in Februaruy out of Cozumel down to Honduras and Belize. Of course we get to dive year round out here in San Diego, but I am looking forward to some relaxed warm water, high viz. diving later in the "winter."

Again, no big cruise ships, but when I can't bareboat charter and sail myself, Windstar has been a pretty good compromise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom