GPS Tracking your dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clever, and looks like fun, but it doesn't solve the problem of how to mark specific waypoints, such as if you find that anchor again.

Yes, those are problems. Possible solutions - one I've tried, one I wonder about - include mounting or attaching the phone or GPS receiver in such a way that it could be pulled underwater to stop receiving the GPS data.

And when I've tried this, just stopping in one place for an extended period and pulling the tow line taut so the buoy/float is overhead makes an "enlarged blotch" on the map so you can sorta see the specific waypoint.

@tursiops : Surface Marker Buoy or, as I have found can also be called a Signal Marker Buoy (I don't like/use that)

and

Delayed Surface Marker Buoy

@tursiops : Surface Marker Buoy or, as I have found can also be called a Signal Marker Buoy (I don't like/use that)

and

Delayed Surface Marker Buoy
Hey, call it what you want. Just don't try and tow a long thin tube around during a dive, especially with a GPS in a waterproof case tied to the top. Using a surface float solves the problem. Spearfishermen learned that a long time ago.

You would love an UWIS system. I have been testing one and it's a lovely thing.
It facilitates accurate position tracking both on shore and while submerged.
You could even see yourself on a map (or on a sidescan sonar image) while diving, and record everything!
It costs significantly more than a floating smartphone though.

I am not affiliated with that company in any way, but I did get some coffee after a test dive :D

Last year I did the same thing as the original poster and I s**t you not, a kayaker stole the phone (my GF saw him).

Needless to say, the insurance company rep was not impressed.

Last year I did the same thing as the original poster and I s**t you not, a kayaker stole the phone (my GF saw him).

Needless to say, the insurance company rep was not impressed.
I am using an old decommissioned phone. I wouldn’t use my actual, I make phone calls phone.

This will only give surface positions. Great if you are poaching a wreck location on a dive charter, but under 12” of water, useless...
But, no worse than the Garmin Descent.

Diverlog+ uses the location of your phone at the time of the dive when it downloads the dive from an Aqualung computer. On a shore dive this is not as close as it would be for a boat dive as long as you have you phone on the boat( I carry mine with me in a water proof bag). I think that is a pretty neat feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom