Scared of DCS after 1st dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had my first dive today on my own (with buddy) we hit a max depth of about 50 feet. While ascending I felt a bit lightheaded and “woozy” it lasted for about a minute then I took a safety stop at 15 feet for 3 minutes and I felt fine. Since surfaced, I feel lightheaded and I’m tired. I’m very worried about the possibility of the bends, and thoughts and input would be great. Thank you!

Do you know what your ascent rate was? Roughly? Other more experienced folks than I can comment better with this info. Anyone can take a DCS hit at any time, but if it was a nice slow ascent it should be unlikely.

PS, I am always tired after diving. Not sure why but they are some of my best napping days.

A lot of people get a little vertigo ascending. If your middle ears do not equalize the same as you come up you will get a sense of slight dizziness. 90% of my dives end this way but it only seems to last a few minutes. If you stayed a little dizzy for a while you may have retained unequal middle ear pressures which you’ll have to wait for it to slowly clear up. You could try to excersise your middle ears maybe.

As a new diver, it's unlikely you got enough bottom time on a single tank to be a DCS issue, not impossible but very unlikely. Sounds like a bit of vertigo. Improper clearing or a little congestion can be enough to set that off . As for being tired, that is also common. There is a lot of thermal load on your body that takes a lot of energy out of you.

I agree it's more likely to be vertigo or just your body adjusting to a new experience. Take it slow, relax, and if there's something you don't like don't be afraid to say so.

I think most people feel a little strange after there first dive.

Do you drive? Do you remember when you were learning to drive, how you felt after your first time on the road in "real" traffic? I remember my neck and shoulders being completely in knots from the stress/excitement. I think the same thing goes for divers on their first real dive.

You were asking your body to do things it is not used to. I too suspect the vertigo/unequal pressure in your ears a a bit of stress are the issue. During OW they stress all the things that can go wrong for good reason but it can create a bit more anxiety than is necessary. We need to know what can go wrong, how to avoid it and how to respond to it without being too stressed about it.

Best solution is to try to build some nice easy bottom time. Diving makes most people tired but if you really are alarmed check with DAN, have a chat with a dive professional you trust or check with a doctor who knows about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom