Scituate Reservoir (RI) History Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dookchute

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently, I was speaking with a local resident of Scituate, Rhode Island and was enthralled about his stories of a ‘sunken church,’ within the Scituate reservoir. For those unfamiliar with the area, like myself, let me first advise that you CANNOT dive in the reservoir (blast!) because it’s public drinking water that supplies the City of Providence. If you dive, you’ll be subject to arrest. Don’t do it!

However, I am intrigued by the notion there are several sunken villages, full of condemned buildings in the current reservoir. According to the local resident I was speaking with, during times of little rainfall, you can apparently still see the top of a church steeple somewhere in the reservoir!? Can anybody confirm if this is legitimate? Has anyone actually legitimately dove the reservoir for whatever reason—PSD dive or perhaps a survey?? I would love to know more! I’m a bit of a history but and would love to speak with anyone who knows more! —Thanks!

Submerged but not forgotten: The Lost Villages of Scituate (News article confirming sunken villages)

I've known about that for along time, it's not that uncommon. I've never seen the church steeple but I guess if the water got low enough it could happen.

There's a lake in NY Lows Lake Bog River Flow that allegedly has an old town below it's surface. Diving is allowed there but it's a 6-7 mile trip up river by non- motorized watercraft canoe, yak, good luck. I snorkeled there as most of the bottom is 10FFW but haven't seen anything but big old stumps and large mouth bass.

Years ago WJAR news did a story about the sunken villages and had some underwater footage. I remember seeing nothing but foundations, no structures.

Candlewood lake in southwest CT has a village. You are allowed to dive there. Although in recent years visibility has been bad. So I haven't been there since 2009. There are roads, street signs, houses, old farmers walls, I believe a church too.

You are allowed to dive there. Although in recent years visibility has been bad.

That is an understatement. Dove there 2 years ago - 3 foot viz at best - almost ran into the back of a foundation on a DPV - did not see it until it was about 2.5 feet from my unit... Dont bother not a lot to see... although it is shallow depths.

So this is in NJ - Round Valley Reservoir - and much better viz...
If you dive Dutch Springs - this is more than likely just as close. I shot this video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom