DIR- Generic Completed GUE Fundies Provisional

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having an efficient back-kick is essential to get a tech pass (or rec)

Being a new diver I didn't realize this until it was too late. I made a first attempt at fundies earlier this month, and we all failed (primarily because we were not stable enough to finish all the exercises in the curriculum and couldn't back kick until the last day). I'm definitely focusing solely on stability and back kick before trying again next year. Nonetheless, it was the best course I've taken so far and I learned a ton. It's changed my goals for training and diving for sure.

Did you take your course with Alex, Kees, or Guy?

(I'm taking Fundies in Chicago before I move to Seattle in September, but will likely need some supplemental work afterwards.)

Did you take your course with Alex, Kees, or Guy?

(I'm taking Fundies in Chicago before I move to Seattle in September, but will likely need some supplemental work afterwards.)

I took it with Alex!

Also, re having a good back kick: I completely agree - I found that I would constantly move forward slowly when trying to stay still.

AFAIK you should be fully aware of where your strengths and what requires improvement the day fundies ends (even if you pass) since your instructor gives you all the details you need.

with that - your instructor should also be your best source for questions on this as he spent 4 days with you and knows exactly what you should work on.

from my POV I would just say keep on diving regularly and try have friend film you with a gopro occasionally - so you can review yourself how are you making progress. you just finished fundis hence you should have a basic ability now to review yourself.

Thanks,
Matan.

Also, re having a good back kick: I completely agree - I found that I would constantly move forward slowly when trying to stay still.
The back kick comes into play after you can hover completely still First make sure you your platform is excellent, then focus o back kick. You will need a stable platform to perform the back kick right.

Btw you won’t notice yourself immediately better after fundies, well you will but as you do 20-30 dives more you’ll really see how fundies has made you a much better diver. It takes some time to see how you’ve improved, I’ve seen this personally at least.

I got a provisional REC pass just like yourself. One of the things that helped me pass when I did my check out dive with my Instructor a few months later was having people to train with and perhaps a mentor (someone besides the people you have done class and someone with perhaps a TEC pass, TEC1 or Cave 1 perhaps), so they can make sure you are doing your propulsion correctly and also your hover, trim, buoyancy is on point, etc. There is a GUE Seattle community up there and perhaps your instructor can put you in touch with a few mentors that have been around the block and diving the GUE system for a little while that can help you train.

What makes GUE different from a lot of other agencies out there, is the community. There were a few people willing to drive about an hour to help train with me on a Saturday morning at a pool day or head to the beach to help me train multiple times. After I got my TEC Pass and Cave 1, I have paid it forward and helped some other people prepare for their pass.

Other tips that helped me:
- pool sessions (to work on S-drills, V-drills, propulsion, etc)
- if you're in the ocean (start doing your drills at maybe 20fsw and then progress to 10fsw)
- having a buddy record video of your propulsion, S-drills, V-drills, etc. so you can review what you did wrong
(video doesn't lie)
- watching videos on YouTube (make sure they are GUE demos) or demos of certain skills (maybe borrow someones GUE TV account)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom