New spearo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcollins4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys n gals im getting my first speargun sunday and first spear dive trip monday....unfortunately ill be diving a regular reef boat trip not spear specific.....ive never shot a speargun and too cheap to pay someone to show me how to hunt......ive got about 200 dives and have done shark feed dives but never have i been the one feeding or been solo with a damn gun.......... honestly im very sketched about having bloody fish and plan on using stringer attached to smb which ill deploy immediately.......been studying fish id and minimum inches and will mark off increments of 6 inches on the top of my gun so i can increase the chanced of not coming up with **** thatll get me laughed at :wink:........most likely they r gonna drop me by myself to spear which has got me wigged already...most people sont wanna swim nxt to someone spearing and its dangerous for them too....any tips for this new spearo for not getting attacked by **** and how to manage a speargun/smb/dive computer/stringer/ etx???????

You have to be a good diver to be a good spearfisherman. With 200 dives under your belt you should have excellent buoyancy control. When you shoot fish you shouldn't be floating up while stringing the fish leaving yourself exposed. You need to stay focused on the fact you are diving with limited gas and time. Do not get so sidetracked in the hunt that you run out and kill yourself. You will be task loading, managing a stringer, gun, sharks, navigation, current, the actual dive, etc. Spearfishing vs. just diving is night and day and so it's best that your diving skills are ingrained muscle memory and automatic.

You have to learn to not make yourself look like a predator. You are already at a disadvantage on scuba. So don't go wild chasing everything on the reef. In fact, often it's best to be 15-20 feet off the bottom to look less like an active predator and keep the fish from easily being able to use their lateral line. When you find your target slowly drop down on it. The fish knows you're there and will often turn broad side to use its lateral line to gauge what and where you're going. This gives you your opportunity. However don't just shoot the fish until you have it in the right angle. Patience is key. The fish should be angled away from you. If it's angled toward you and you shoot it without stoning it, it will swim up your shaft and on to your line creating a pain in the ass for you. If you're freeshafting it will swim right off your shaft and you'll lose the fish. Again, patience is key. It will turn as you approach. Your target on the fish is the lateral line just behind the gill plate. Hit that spot and 9 times out of 10 you'll stone the fish. Jacks and Cobia can kill you. They are strong fish, they can wrap the line around you if you don't spin with the fish. They can knock your mask and reg off. Hell, they can knock teeth out. They can drag you though the water column which is not good on scuba. Always grab every fish by the throat when securing it. String the fish first before taking it off the shaft. If your gun floats, don't let go. Put one arm through the bands before doing your work.

Sharks are a problem, especially on the East coast, but pretty much becoming an issue everywhere around Florida with a substantial increase in population. If a shark shows up, it assumes it's the top predator. Prove it wrong. They are smart animals. They know when you're not looking at it. So keep your eyes on the shark at all times and swim toward it. I repeat, SWIM TOWARDS IT. Doing so will send it off or keep it at bay to make an exit. If the shark does not fear you, you need to be ready to defend yourself. It's unlikely it would attack you if you don't have any fish but they are unpredictable. If one decides it truly is interested in you, unhook your line and be ready to do what you need to do to protect yourself. If two or more sharks show up, just get out of the water. Sending your fish up on a bag is a good idea in sharky waters with someone topside to retrieve it and it's not a bad practice if you have multiple bags, but if you have just one, then obviously you are not going to be very productive.

Personally, I don't care for the trip plan you have described. We live boat, no anchor, no music and are prepared to grab a diver out of the water quickly. It sounds like you're taking a charter and they are going to drop you solo and then move on and do a typical charter with other customers and come back to pick you up. Who's going to get your stringer on an SMB? Is there current? If so are you bringing a float and reel? How long are you going to have to wait until you're picked up? Hanging on the surface with a stringer of fish, floating along the current with the potential for sharks isn't fun. Been there, done that. What if you get injured? Time is of the essence to get a tourniquet on. Can you put one on yourself in the water? Do you have kids? That should play into your risk tolerance decision making.

If these issues haven't been worked out I think you should leave the gun at home and make friends with people who have experience and learn the ropes and do some spearfishing with a buddy. If you're hell bent on shooting there's a couple things to consider. No fish is worth dying for and be a responsible fisherman. Don't shoot short, out of season fish. Most species we target have limits, and underwater they should appear really really big. Don't beat up the reef breaking coral and destroying the environment the fish we want to consume live in. Remember we do this for fun, but more so for food and we want the next generation to have the same opportunity.

Finally, here's a good video you should watch that will expand on my advice.

Watch The Bare Bones of Spearfishing - Your Guide to Underwater Hunting Online | Vimeo On Demand

You have to be a good diver to be a good spearfisherman. With 200 dives under your belt you should have excellent buoyancy control. When you shoot fish you shouldn't be floating up while stringing the fish leaving yourself exposed. You need to stay focused on the fact you are diving with limited gas and time. Do not get so sidetracked in the hunt that you run out and kill yourself. You will be task loading, managing a stringer, gun, sharks, navigation, current, the actual dive, etc. Spearfishing vs. just diving is night and day and so it's best that your diving skills are ingrained muscle memory and automatic.

You have to learn to not make yourself look like a predator. You are already at a disadvantage on scuba. So don't go wild chasing everything on the reef. In fact, often it's best to be 15-20 feet off the bottom to look less like an active predator and keep the fish from easily being able to use their lateral line. When you find your target slowly drop down on it. The fish knows you're there and will often turn broad side to use its lateral line to gauge what and where you're going. This gives you your opportunity. However don't just shoot the fish until you have it in the right angle. Patience is key. The fish should be angled away from you. If it's angled toward you and you shoot it without stoning it, it will swim up your shaft and on to your line creating a pain in the ass for you. If you're freeshafting it will swim right off your shaft and you'll lose the fish. Again, patience is key. It will turn as you approach. Your target on the fish is the lateral line just behind the gill plate. Hit that spot and 9 times out of 10 you'll stone the fish. Jacks and Cobia can kill you. They are strong fish, they can wrap the line around you if you don't spin with the fish. They can knock your mask and reg off. Hell, they can knock teeth out. They can drag you though the water column which is not good on scuba. Always grab every fish by the throat when securing it. String the fish first before taking it off the shaft. If your gun floats, don't let go. Put one arm through the bands before doing your work.

Sharks are a problem, especially on the East coast, but pretty much becoming an issue everywhere around Florida with a substantial increase in population. If a shark shows up, it assumes it's the top predator. Prove it wrong. They are smart animals. They know when you're not looking at it. So keep your eyes on the shark at all times and swim toward it. I repeat, SWIM TOWARDS IT. Doing so will send it off or keep it at bay to make an exit. If the shark does not fear you, you need to be ready to defend yourself. It's unlikely it would attack you if you don't have any fish but they are unpredictable. If one decides it truly is interested in you, unhook your line and be ready to do what you need to do to protect yourself. If two or more sharks show up, just get out of the water. Sending your fish up on a bag is a good idea in sharky waters with someone topside to retrieve it and it's not a bad practice if you have multiple bags, but if you have just one, then obviously you are not going to be very productive.

Personally, I don't care for the trip plan you have described. We live boat, no anchor, no music and are prepared to grab a diver out of the water quickly. It sounds like you're taking a charter and they are going to drop you solo and then move on and do a typical charter with other customers and come back to pick you up. Who's going to get your stringer on an SMB? Is there current? If so are you bringing a float and reel? How long are you going to have to wait until you're picked up? Hanging on the surface with a stringer of fish, floating along the current with the potential for sharks isn't fun. Been there, done that. What if you get injured? Time is of the essence to get a tourniquet on. Can you put one on yourself in the water? Do you have kids? That should play into your risk tolerance decision making.

If these issues haven't been worked out I think you should leave the gun at home and make friends with people who have experience and learn the ropes and do some spearfishing with a buddy. If you're hell bent on shooting there's a couple things to consider. No fish is worth dying for and be a responsible fisherman. Don't shoot short, out of season fish. Most species we target have limits, and underwater they should appear really really big. Don't beat up the reef breaking coral and destroying the environment the fish we want to consume live in. Remember we do this for fun, but more so for food and we want the next generation to have the same opportunity.

Finally, here's a good video you should watch that will expand on my advice.

Watch The Bare Bones of Spearfishing - Your Guide to Underwater Hunting Online | Vimeo On Demand

To the OP:
This reply above is barely the tip of the iceberg for spearfishing in FL. You should quit being so cheap and find an instructor to take a course with and then find an experienced mentor to get hands-on experience before you get yourself seriously hurt. FL is the "Mecca" of spearfishing instructors and experts in the world and you can find these expert instructors everywhere in FL.

It is a serious matter that has life and death and serious injury implications; trying to learn it through the internet is just plain nonsense.

Good gosh a Hoosier from the corn fields of Indiana !
There's huge a difference in floating down the Wabash and shooting blue gill and ocean spear fishing.

You receive some great advice from very knowledge experienced spear fishermen, suggesttht you follow their advice....

I will also offer mine
About 20 years ago, in 2000 the "Free dive list." organized and sponsored the huge 2000 Free dive spearfishing Party which was the last gathering of the worlds "Fathers of Free diving and Spear fishing." It was a very monumental event in the history of spear fishing and diving . The 50 or so living fathers came from all points of the globe for this one last hurrah; Central and South America, Europe, Australia, the Pacific Islands and North America -three were honored from Orange County California the late Ron Merker, (@drbill instructor) Allan (Omar) Wood and my self

In honor of the event and the Fathers posted the following on the Free Dive List:

"We Fathers of Free Diving and Spearfishing have been honored as the pioneer participants in a noble sport where one matches their skill in a very hostile environment with that of his finny adversary in an activity that has become internationally known as "Spearfishing."

Spearfish with great dignity and pride in this the noblest of all man's activities, but with restraint and selective spearfishing rather than wholesale slaughter, for with every activity there is a Beginning; a Middle; and an
End.......
....."

We the "Fathers" of this great activity were honored to have been a participant in the Beginning, we are some where past the Middle and if precautions aren't established and restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Only a hand full of the Fathers have survived the passage of the last twenty years ~ my companions are no more ~ One by one they have passed on and are now spearfishing on that big reef in the sky...I am one of the very few remaining and active .

Enjoy Spearfishing

Sam Miller, 111

@Marie13 CE-- There was not one father from Illinois

Well i will take alllll that in consideration in my voyage to be an awesone safe spearfisherman ....thanks again really awesome tips.....cobia n jacks r last in my list n im getting a lift bag to get them completely away from me and been diving w buddies.....my boat charters wilk be pickimmng up the fish n keeping me safe thanks again......i welscome any more tips i tjoroughly enjoyed it!!!!!

We and especially Me eagerly await your return and pictures and a lavish report from the great Hoosier hunter.

good luck & good hunting hombre

SDM

What gun and length did you get? What diameter shafts? What are you using as line? Everything in spearfishing is really situational… Just for example, you’re saying that you’re going to be going after amberjack, which is a whole different beast from cobia. What size aj’s are you gunning for? AJ’s will get stunned for a few seconds, enough for a new spearo to think they nailed it, then it will come back to life with a vengeance and dive for the bottom, taking care along the way to dodge through every possible obstruction on the way down - they are more than happy to wrap you up in your own line if they get a chance, and people have died that exact way. I mean I’m not saying that to scare you or anything, but in addition to knowing your gear and the area you’re going to have to know the temperament and best way to hide each particular type of fish.

Then again, if you’re only going after baby amberjacks, then I guess that really isn’t going to be a problem… I’m talking more about the ones like this one from a few weeks ago… 127 pounds.

Anyway, I really don’t think that going in solo for your first time is the smartest move. Sometimes I end up solo if my buddy is chasing something below me on one of the oil rigs, But I have never intentionally gone out on a spear fishing TRIP by myself… And not to be condescending, but I have many times the number of dives that you have.. I know you’re probably going to read this and get defensive but I just don’t see it as being an intelligent thing to do if you have any possible alternative. I’m not saying I would/have never speared solo before - but each time I have I went in with a reasonable plan and divers on the boat who knew when my air would likely run out, in a confined and relatively easy to search space like the legs of an oil rig 70 miles out. If I understand correctly, you have never gone spearing, you’re getting dropped off by a boat on your own, and at some point they’re going to pick you up in that general area. Just out of curiosity, if something goes wrong, what are your plans?

Look, probably the best advice I can give you is to get active with somebody else that spearfishes. Ideally, get active with a local club, but even if it’s just with one friend who also is interested, then you’re going to find it is a lot more enjoyable, safer, and you can both share what you’re learning together.

Attachments

• FE5617CF-7310-49EE-9D31-74FFA37135D9.jpeg
    FE5617CF-7310-49EE-9D31-74FFA37135D9.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 174

Back
Top Bottom