Reported DCS on plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, if a doctor experiences distress of some sort and plays his doctor card, I imagine he could pressure the crew to divert a flight, even if the symptoms seem vague and nonspecific. Throw in a self diagnosis of some potentially serious problem that the flight crew knows nothing about...that plane is making an unscheduled landing.
We don't really know what he told them or when at all. So saying they "should" have turned around for Cancun instead of continuing to Houston is really jumping to conclusions.

I don't think he had DCS at all - even if the symptoms resolved with HBO.

We don't really know what he told them or when at all. So saying they "should" have turned around for Cancun instead of continuing to Houston is really jumping to conclusions.

I don't think he had DCS at all - even if the symptoms resolved with HBO.

I didn't say they "should" have done anything.

I didn't say they "should" have done anything.
I know, I was responding to @bperrybap 's concerns in post #50.

I don't think he had DCS in the first place, but based on his relatively minor symptoms continuing on to Houston was the right call anyway - even if those symptoms had been DCS.

I have heard reports of unusual DCS incidents happening at altitude in an aircraft and we have treated a few such individuals. One theory is that there was subclinical inflammation/tissue ischemia that was aggravated by hypoxia at altitude. I would be hesitant to make a presumption about the diagnosis (or lack thereof) of an individual I haven't even corresponded with, much less evaluated in person, especially based on a news media report.

Best regards,
DDM

I had a friend who also got DCS in about 30 feet...and she only does one dive on Thursdays. It happened to her twice. And there was no flying involved or multiple days of diving. I think she said if she does long dives again she will use EA even though it's shallow.

Everyone's body is different. Though I tend to think a little hypochondria might have played a little into it as well. Can't imagine that hospital bill.

I've also worked with a friend on a group of professional divers who'd had a few folks get bent in less than 30 feet of water. There were a lot of ascents and descents involved in the work they were doing.

Best regards,
DDM

Everyone's body is different. Though I tend to think a little hypochondria might have played a little into it as well. Can't imagine that hospital bill.

Most US insurance covers HBO although the deductible and co-pay can be steep without secondary insurance.

I would be hesitant to make a presumption about the diagnosis (or lack thereof) of an individual I haven't even corresponded with, much less evaluated in person, especially based on a news media report.

Oh come on!! That's like every thread in this whole subforum :D

I've also worked with a friend on a group of professional divers who'd had a few folks get bent in less than 30 feet of water. There were a lot of ascents and descents involved in the work they were doing.

Best regards,
DDM
Interesting tidbit here. If this was a DSD, the odds the diver made multiple ascents/descents are higher.

I guess there could also be a confluence of factors that each alone would not produce a DCI incident, but together they could. Something like multiple ascents/descents + PFO + dehydration + working out post-dive etc...

Interesting tidbit here. If this was a DSD, the odds the diver made multiple ascents/descents are higher.

I guess there could also be a confluence of factors that each alone would not produce a DCI incident, but together they could. Something like multiple ascents/descents + PFO + dehydration + working out post-dive etc...

Might well be. Dehydration is one of those plus/minus things, the evidence around that as a factor in DCS is pretty mixed, but the others, maybe. It's interesting to look at the outliers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom