Reported DCS on plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What still I don't understand is if they believed it was a serious medical issue due to DCS i.e. a "medical emergency", why would the plane continue on to Dallas for 2+ more hours? Why not turn back since they were only 20 minutes into a 2.5 hour flight?
I'm assuming the cabin can't be pressurized up to sea level
so if it really was DCS, would just breathing oxygen at the equivalent of around 8000 ft really be enough to stop the damage occurring due to the reduced ambient air pressure? Yeah the oxygen helps reduce further nitrogen intake but it seems like the real concern would be the accelerated off-gassing happening due to the reduced pressure inside the plane.

We don’t know what he told the crew. According to the article, he complained of nausea and dizziness, told the crew he suspected DCS (did he perhaps mention he was an MD), and asked for oxygen. It’s possible he himself gave the crew, who likely had no idea what DCS is, the impression it wasn’t life-threatening. We don’t know.

We don’t know what he told the crew. According to the article, he complained of nausea and dizziness, told the crew he suspected DCS (did he perhaps mention he was an MD), and asked for oxygen. It’s possible he himself gave the crew, who likely had no idea what DCS is, the impression it wasn’t life-threatening. We don’t know.
Also not sure what was the weight of the plane (Max T/O Weight might be above max landing weight) so unless they dumped fuel landing might not have been an option in the early stage of flight. This would have included climbing (in order not to shower people with Jet fuel) and at that point being at altitude .... they might have proceeded enroute.

That usually presents immediately, not after 19+ hours.
True, but in the reduced pressure of the aircraft cabin, trapped air will expand producing symptoms of emphysema that may have been overlooked at 1bar.

True, but in the reduced pressure of the aircraft cabin, trapped air will expand producing symptoms of emphysema that may have been overlooked at 1bar.
Can you point to some reference for this, ir is it speculation?

I'm really looking forward to more info on this too. May be instructive to something that occurred a decade or so ago.

I'm really looking forward to more info on this too. May be instructive to something that occurred a decade or so ago.

If you mean more info on this particular incident, I'm sure there's no more coming. The "victim" was, judging by the photo in the popular media article, in fine spirits after his chamber ride. He's back to normal life now and pop media has moved on.

If you mean more info on this particular incident, I'm sure there's no more coming. The "victim" was, judging by the photo in the popular media article, in fine spirits after his chamber ride. He's back to normal life now and pop media has moved on.

No, I was referring to @John Bantin's post regarding "emphysema".

What still I don't understand is if they believed it was a serious medical issue due to DCS i.e. a "medical emergency", why would the plane continue on to Dallas for 2+ more hours? Why not turn back since they were only 20 minutes into a 2.5 hour flight?
I'm assuming the cabin can't be pressurized up to sea level
so if it really was DCS, would just breathing oxygen at the equivalent of around 8000 ft really be enough to stop the damage occurring due to the reduced ambient air pressure? Yeah the oxygen helps reduce further nitrogen intake but it seems like the real concern would be the accelerated off-gassing happening due to the reduced pressure inside the plane.
Id say as a general rule declaring "you have a medical emergency" to a flight crew with nothing but your own personal assessment of the urgency is unlikely to turn an aircraft over the gulf of mexico around. Especially since the symptoms were not life threatening
Or they could have radioed ahead for a consult and concluded care was best delivered in TX.
Or its all bogus...

Id say as a general rule declaring "you have a medical emergency" to a flight crew with nothing but your own personal assessment of the urgency is unlikely to turn an aircraft over the gulf of mexico around. Especially since the symptoms were not life threatening
Or they could have radioed ahead for a consult and concluded care was best delivered in TX.
Or its all bogus...

Obviously I can't say what happened in this case, but I have a general idea of how they approach a medical issue on a flight. I was on an American Airlines flight when a woman complained of abdominal pain, and a call came for a physician. I responded and spent some time assessing the situation and determined it wasn't an emergency. However, I felt some pressure because the flight crew put it on me to decide whether the flight should divert. We didn't.

Now, if a doctor experiences distress of some sort and plays his doctor card, I imagine he could pressure the crew to divert a flight, even if the symptoms seem vague and nonspecific. Throw in a self diagnosis of some potentially serious problem that the flight crew knows nothing about...that plane is making an unscheduled landing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom