Coz Tanks & O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the overall experience with leaking O-rings on tanks provided by dive Ops in Coz?

I am asking because my personal experience & observation with tanks from 2 different small boat dive Ops involved leaking O-rings for someone on just about every dive. (I am not exaggerating). Not necessarily with the tanks I was using, but with others on the boat, including the DM on one recent trip.

My personal experience with a leaking O-ring involved using my own regulator. (Nitrox dives) It was on our 1st dive. The 2nd dive was fine, so it was not my regulator. Also, I noticed that some, but not all of the O-rings were milky white in color suggesting polyurethane O-rings.

My understanding is that, with some exceptions, the Coz Ops all own the tanks they provide and they are all (or the majority) filled at the same filling station. I could be wrong about this. It is what I was told by a well-respected dive Op owner. (Or my understanding of what I was told...LOL!). Could the problem be worn or banged-up valves that need replacing? What QC controls are in place?

you could find bad o-rings / leaking tank connections at almost any shop. not just coz. salt water destinations may be more likely. i always carry a small container with numerous size orings along with basic tools etc. you would be surprised how many shops don't carry any tools or parts on the boat.

you could find bad o-rings / leaking tank connections at almost any shop. not just coz. salt water destinations may be more likely. i always carry a small container with numerous size orings along with basic tools etc. you would be surprised how many shops don't carry any tools or parts on the boat.

I have spare O-rings and the tools as well in my Save-A-Dive kit. The problem is that you don't know the o-ring is leaking until you hit the water.

I haven't experienced any leaky o-rings. Anywhere I dive, though, I'm concerned about the quality of the air, so I test every tank for carbon monoxide.

I haven't experienced any leaky o-rings. Anywhere I dive, though, I'm concerned about the quality of the air, so I test every tank for carbon monoxide.
What has been your test results specific to Coz tank fills?

I have spare O-rings and the tools as well in my Save-A-Dive kit. The problem is that you don't know the o-ring is leaking until you hit the water.

many boats will have a spray bottle with mask defog. if you are concerned, you could give the connection a quick spray and check for bubbles. otherwise, you are correct, if you don't hear it or see it on the boat, you might not see it until you are in the water. then it is up to you to decide if you are willing to dive it as is.

I think most shops use tanks from the fill station meridian. Aldora has there own tanks an compressor. Not sure who else uses their own tanks an has them filled at meridian. You are correct you can often see small leaks around the base of the valve. Only seems to be a problem if the tank sits around for a few days and looses a few 100 psi

What is the overall experience with leaking O-rings on tanks provided by dive Ops in Coz?

I am asking because my personal experience & observation with tanks from 2 different small boat dive Ops involved leaking O-rings for someone on just about every dive. (I am not exaggerating). Not necessarily with the tanks I was using, but with others on the boat, including the DM on one recent trip.

My personal experience with a leaking O-ring involved using my own regulator. (Nitrox dives) It was on our 1st dive. The 2nd dive was fine, so it was not my regulator. Also, I noticed that some, but not all of the O-rings were milky white in color suggesting polyurethane O-rings.

My understanding is that, with some exceptions, the Coz Ops all own the tanks they provide and they are all (or the majority) filled at the same filling station. I could be wrong about this. It is what I was told by a well-respected dive Op owner. (Or my understanding of what I was told...LOL!). Could the problem be worn or banged-up valves that need replacing? What QC controls are in place?

I've been to coz twice. Crappy O-rings are common there. I don't think they replace yoke o-rings until they fall off the tank completely. Just bring a large bag of o-rings with you when you go, and replace the o-ring on each tank you dive. They cost almost nothing, and it only takes a few seconds to replace one.

Here's an example (13.3 cents each), but I'm sure if you put some effort into it you could find them cheaper https://smile.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Diving-Rings-200-Piece/dp/B004UHWJBM/ . Just be careful about buying o-rings from dive shops. That's one of those items they tend to massively overcharge for at many shops.

Obviously replacing the o-ring between the tank and valve is not going to be doable, but I've only had those leak on me a few times.

A week in a destination on rental tanks sure does make a person miss their personally owned tanks at home 'eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom