Rash Guard Long sleeve or short sleeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so consensus is buy a long sleeve for the UV protection? guess I don't see the benefit of buying a short sleeve one. Also most likely these dives wont go deep max 40 feet. Were also talking Florida so I expect the weather to be very humid and hot so I think a shortie would want to make me pass out

On the surface, I'm generally cold in a wet rash guard or hot in a dry one, lol
Totally agreed.
I use it for sun protection and immediately remove it if I can find a shady area! I also bought one size up so to give more ventilation!
I could never understand why some rash guards are black in colour! Shouldn't it be in light colour so as to reflex light away?

Totally agreed.
I use it for sun protection and immediately remove it if I can find a shady area! I also bought one size up so to give more ventilation!
I could never understand why some rash guards are black in colour! Shouldn't it be in light colour so as to reflex light away?
Isn't black supposed to be "slimming"? Which speaks to another motivation for buying one that is a little loose rather than form fitting...

Hi..someone else mentioned the temp in Florida in July...and I agree, if you are good with a 7m in 40s...you are going to be warm in florida...but just for protection any type of rash guard shirt with long sleeves.

I will be traveling to Florida in July and I plan on doing some reef dives. I hear the water is supposed to get up to mid 80s and im generally pretty good with the cold. "usually fine with a 7mm down to mid 40s" I was wondering if there is a big difference between the long sleeve or short sleeve rash guard or is it just preference at the end of the day. Thanks. OR would it even be crazy to wear no rash guard? But I do worry about my wing setup causing chaffing on bare skin

I have several rashers and was using them a year ago when I was in Florida.

For a typical "reef bimble" sort of dive in ~80 degree water I would either wear a rasher or swim trunks depending on the day. Rashers don't provide any warmth, at all. Their purpose is to block sun exposure and reduce the chances of getting a rash from exposure to various aquatic organisms that might be floating in the water.

I also wear them swimming, kayaking, boating, etc.

I like to wear a one-piece bodysuit-style rasher (with a front zipper) because it keeps the sun off and minimizes the amount of sunscreen I have to use. I usually have shorts or pants on over it when topside.

I prefer them to fit tight for swimming or diving, because loose fabric creates drag.

Back
Top Bottom