Scubapro Mako Titanium knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Efka76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought new Scubapro Mako Titanium knife and wanted to give you my short impressions about it:

1) I have Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD and there is an option to install Scubapro knife on weight pocket. Unfortunately in order to install knife you need to additionally buy special plate. Also, you need to have special tool in order to unscrew/screw special bolts. This is really not very convenient. Scubapro Mako Titanium knife comes with rubber straps, however, for convenience purposes I wanted to install it on my BCD.

2) Now everybody talks about preservation of environment and that we need to use less plastic in order to preserve environment. Unfortunately knife package was hard plastic. I would expect from scuba equipment producers to use recycled paper and not plastic for packaging. This was a bit disappointing as our family is trying to use as less plastic as possible.

3) Knife sheath installation on BCD was very easy (when you have knife plate and special tool). When you insert knife to sheath it holds knife very firmly and reduces risk of losing knife underwater. Knife could be withdrawn from sheath by pressing a firm button on sheath.

4) I specifically selected titanium knife despite its almost double cost comparing to the same steel knife as I did not want to pay special attention related to knife maintenance. After the whole week of diving in Red Sea was no sign of rust on my knife.

5) Knife serrated edge is really sharp, however, I was disappointed that edge on another side was not sharp at all and needs heavy sharpening. Now I consider buying good sharpening tool to make another edge sharp as well. I did not have possibility to use knife during dives, however, when I tried to cut various ropes or materials, serrated edge was working properly.

6) Knife also has bottle opener at the end, however, this is not very useful as before or after dives I do not drink any alcohol (including beer). However that end could be used for banging air tank in order to attract buddy or dive guide attention.

P.S. I just saw advertisement videos of Eezycut Trilobite and was so impressed that with such small tool you can cut very thick ropes made from different materials. After watching these videos and reading various reviews I decided to buy Trylobite cutting tool for my wife. Smaller, 3 times cheaper tool. Definitely better value than Scubapro Mako Titanium.... however knife has "cool" factor, which Trilobite tool lacks :)

Yes, the Trilobite-type cutter is very handy. There are other versions of this tool that are a bit less expensive and maybe better. For example, Dive Gear Express sells their ceramic bladed (= no rust) version for under $20.

I bought new Scubapro Mako Titanium knife and wanted to give you my short impressions about it:

1) I have Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD and there is an option to install Scubapro knife on weight pocket. Unfortunately in order to install knife you need to additionally buy special plate. Also, you need to have special tool in order to unscrew/screw special bolts. This is really not very convenient. Scubapro Mako Titanium knife comes with rubber straps, however, for convenience purposes I wanted to install it on my BCD.

2) Now everybody talks about preservation of environment and that we need to use less plastic in order to preserve environment. Unfortunately knife package was hard plastic. I would expect from scuba equipment producers to use recycled paper and not plastic for packaging. This was a bit disappointing as our family is trying to use as less plastic as possible.

3) Knife sheath installation on BCD was very easy (when you have knife plate and special tool). When you insert knife to sheath it holds knife very firmly and reduces risk of losing knife underwater. Knife could be withdrawn from sheath by pressing a firm button on sheath.

4) I specifically selected titanium knife despite its almost double cost comparing to the same steel knife as I did not want to pay special attention related to knife maintenance. After the whole week of diving in Red Sea was no sign of rust on my knife.

5) Knife serrated edge is really sharp, however, I was disappointed that edge on another side was not sharp at all and needs heavy sharpening. Now I consider buying good sharpening tool to make another edge sharp as well. I did not have possibility to use knife during dives, however, when I tried to cut various ropes or materials, serrated edge was working properly.

6) Knife also has bottle opener at the end, however, this is not very useful as before or after dives I do not drink any alcohol (including beer). However that end could be used for banging air tank in order to attract buddy or dive guide attention.

P.S. I just saw advertisement videos of Eezycut Trilobite and was so impressed that with such small tool you can cut very thick ropes made from different materials. After watching these videos and reading various reviews I decided to buy Trylobite cutting tool for my wife. Smaller, 3 times cheaper tool. Definitely better value than Scubapro Mako Titanium.... however knife has "cool" factor, which Trilobite tool lacks :)

The major issue I and others I dive with have with the Mako is that the bottle opener end sits too far out from the weight pocket on the Hydros. That bottle opener end tends to scratch your arm. We have ended up using the Aqualung Squeeze Lock knives.

I really like the Titanium Mako, but I find it is just not comfortable mounting it on the Hydros weight pocket.

The major issue I and others I dive with have with the Mako is that the bottle opener end sits too far out from the weight pocket on the Hydros. That bottle opener end tends to scratch your arm. We have ended up using the Aqualung Squeeze Lock knives.

I really like the Titanium Mako, but I find it is just not comfortable mounting it on the Hydros weight pocket.

Odd, I have the exact same knife and BC and have not had/noticed this issue... I’ve been really happy with my setup and the knife has not got in my way or scratched my arm yet, maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Funny, I bought the Mako titanium 6 years ago and it has been sitting brand new in the box in my closet. Why? because I also bought a trilobyte right after at a dive show and that is all I have attached to my bc.

Can you advise how you connected the Aqualung Squeeze lock knife. Just purchased a Hydros and before I buy the knife attachment I wanted to know how others have been able to connect to this thanks.

Ditto. I have the Titanium Mako and tried mounting on the Scubapro Go BCD but got scratched up and so ended up strapping it to the inside of my calf. Good knife though.

Funny, I bought the Mako titanium 6 years ago and it has been sitting brand new in the box in my closet. Why? because I also bought a trilobyte right after at a dive show and that is all I have attached to my bc.

Do you want to sell it?

Can you advise how you connected the Aqualung Squeeze lock knife. Just purchased a Hydros and before I buy the knife attachment I wanted to know how others have been able to connect to this thanks.

I have a squeeze lock knife on my Hydros Pro. I had to take the monprene piece off to screw the knife mount screws on because they are short. I think Scubapro intentionally made it difficult to use any other BC mount knife other than their own. It took a lot of pressure for the threads to catch but I finally got it on. Not easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom