TekDiveGirl / Kimber Hawkens Thurman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My condolences.

I never had the chance to meet Kimber in person. I will always regret it. Like many others, I met TekDiveGirl in the MOF thread and a friendship developped. After her scuba accident, being less on SB, I still followed her progress on facebook. Lately, I had decided I should send her a private message. I wanted to tell her how much an inspiration she was to me, before and after her scuba accident. How I was impressed by the way she would fight and not abandon to pursue her dreams, like her school diplomae, how she would go skiing with adapted equipement, how she would smile at life even when it didn't go the way she wanted. I would have told her that I tought about her to give me courage when I felt down, when I had backpain or other injuries and how I tought she was the bravest woman in the world. I know she had many admirers, I hope she knew the positive effect she had on her friends. She will be greatly missed. I will miss you Kimber.

My sincere condolences to Don, Kimber's children and family and all the MOFers ( and NMOFers) and friends around the world.

Rest in peace TDG, my MOF sister.

your french canadian friend,

Wardric

When I saw the FB post about Kimber I was floored. Just did not see that coming.

She was an inspiration to so many of us. Last pics I saw were of her getting ready for graduation, I know she was really looking forward to that. Deservedly so.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Condolences to all.

Condolences DB and please pass my condolences to her family. My first memory of Kimber is a determined lady slowly making her way into the Rib joint in SanDiego to meet up with a group of SB HH'ers with DB at her side. Her voice was weak and quiet but her determination shone through. Successive visits and meetings saw the result of the determination as she fought off the weakness. Her voice grew stronger as did her impact on the world. What an amazing lady supported by an equally amazing man. DB my heart goes out to you.

Every time I look at my dive gear I think of DB and Kimber. Think Pink Think Pink Photos!!!! - Spread the love

Thanks for the pictures, Don.

It tells such a powerful story.

I read somewhere last night that she obtained her AA before going for her Bachelor's, that is correct right?

such a strong girl.

I saw this last night and it hit me like a sledgehammer. I met her also on here and we had several exchanges before her accident. The community came together and helped out. Missdirected was a huge part of this and she and I are still in touch on Facebook. Kimber called me when Denise was in the hospital having surgery for paralyzed vocal cords. We spoke for a while that day. When Denise passed in 2010 Kimber and Don sent a beautiful card. It was just in the last weeks she was fighting mad about slobs taking the handicapped space at her apartment. Some of us have watched her and her kids grow up on Facebook. This hurts.

The picture above of her in rehab and the story next to it are here
from my visits with Kimber while she was in rehab at Scripps ...

June 18 2006
A remarkable woman ..

I visited Kimber today.

A friend that had spend the night with Kimber, so she wouldn't be alone, was on her way out when I arrived.
Kimber awoke and I let her know I was the morning shift. :) They brought her breakfast which I fed to her. I told her I may as well flick spoonfuls at her from across the room, for all the skill I was showing. :D

It was a good visit and I spent the better part of 2 hrs talking with her, making her laugh .. Oh what a beautiful sound :D

A remarkable woman indeed :D

June 21 2006
I saw Kimber today, she is in rehab and doing well.

She was dressed and sitting in a chair when I arrived, a sign that she is getting stronger. She said she felt good but very tired.

Her attitude, her spirit, her demeanor, are positive and forcefull and bode well for her recovery.

She said she will be posting soon :D

A great visit that left me smiling once again.

Today .......... 3 hours of therapy and more yet to come

Tomorrow ... Kicking Butt

Day After ... Taking Names

June 24
I just got back from another visit with that incredible woman, Kimber.
I did not go on Friday and in that time since, she ... can stay standing with minor assistance! .. can walk assisted between the parallel bars! .. can scratch her nose! (must be wonderful to be able to do that finally) ... can move her right arm! .. can move her left leg!
It's just amazing what can happen in a single day
She is in good spirits, smiling and laughing easily and thanks all of you for the support you give to her.

June 28 2006 update by D_B
Kimber Kicks Rehab Butt!

TekDiveGirl continues her rehab dominating, butt kicking progress!

She is now ranked number one in the hallway wheelchair races, able, (and more than willing), to nerf the competition into the guardrails, or throw them under the wheels, to maintain her lead.

Kimber is also continuing to have beautiful form on the parallel bars, and is expected take the home the gold medal.

We can only see good things in the future for the darling of the hospital ward

OK, a little tongue in cheek but you get the idea
She is doing fantastically well ... was up and taking steps between the parallel bars with assistance, propelling herself around the halls in a wheelchair with only an occasional pedestrian "incident" :wink: and spent some time in the garden, enjoying the sun on her face.

I wish you could talk to her, she smiles and laughs easily .. you would never know that there is anything wrong with her, such is her good attitude and indomitable spirit.

July 1 2006

I went for a visit last night. She looks good and is getting stronger. She can now sit herself up in bed, answer the phone, stand pretty well, can walk backward between the parallel bars, and can even step up and down a stair! I think most of us already know these are major accomplishments. She continues to work very hard and strives to regain her life back everyday. Oh btw, did I already say she is looking good? :D

June 29 2006

I have had a visit with that wonder woman, Kimber :)

She continues to get stronger, better each day, sometimes a lot, sometimes just barely noticeable, all progress just the same.
She can now feed herself with some assistance .. it was great fun helping her chase that last grape around the empty bowl with her fork, oh such laughter :D

She also knows that progress does not come all at once, and is working as hard as she can to get better. I think my favorite saying right now is a quote from Almity ... "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ... and I have had the good grace to be in the presence of such a will.

July 8 2006
I'm back from my visit with Kimber. I am happy to report that ...

My mission to amuse her was short, sweet, and extremely successful! She was to have therapy soon so I didn't stay long.

She was sitting in her wheel chair with her laptop on her lap when I walked in. It may be a while longer until she can post and read them, but not much longer, I would bet.

OK, so I suck at concentrating on the picture taking part, but if I were better at this you would see that she was absolutely having a great day looking radiant. Big smiles and much laughter and was wearing a very cute pink (what else) outfit.

July 19 2006
Some insight on a strong woman

Kimber has a long ways to go yet in rehab, and progress is sometimes so painfully slow you might think that would be discouraging to her .. she won't allow it, not for a minute ... she has a way of turning things around, looks at it as her challenge. This woman has never backed away from anything in her life, this is no exception.

She has such a great disposition I am wishing once again , that you could visit with her, to see just how happy she truly is, so ready to smile, to laugh .. you come away from the visit refreshed, that in going to cheer her up, she has somehow cheered you instead, and your the one the better for your visit with her

You continue to kick rehab butt girl! :jump:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom