Dry suit advice needed x2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which version of it did you get, and did you get Aircore or Drycore?

Get the AirCore. Much easier to get in and out of than DryCore and much quieter.

Dui makes great suits, I have the cf 200with about 300 dives on it .Like others have said used suits won't bring much $$$. I personally don't like the zip seal system because of the extra bulk plus the fact that dui charges a fortune for their seals. I just bought a new suit and went plain Jane with glue on seals. Once you've done it a couple times gluing your own seals on is easy and quick .

Just a suggestion... Why don't you loose the beer belly? I don't mean to be mean, but weight gain as we get older/thirstier doesn't need to be a given. Two months of dieting and a little exercise and you'll save $2K+ ;-)

Just a suggestion... Why don't you loose the beer belly? I don't mean to be mean, but weight gain as we get older/thirstier doesn't need to be a given. Two months of dieting and a little exercise and you'll save $2K+ ;-)

Fair point, but it was meant more as a joke. I actually have no problem in the torso; the arms and legs are where the problems are. I'm more muscular than I was as a young lad I guess, so not sure I can do much about those areas. I vaguely recall those areas being tight even back in the day; I wish younger me had been smarter and gone a size up.

Which version of it did you get, and did you get Aircore or Drycore?

I have an origanal Whites Fusion Bullet with a drycore. The newer aircore suits are much nicer.

I'm more muscular than I was as a young lad I guess, so not sure I can do much about those areas. .
Ah! In that case, hang on to it until you're my age when you start to shrivel up and wither away... ;-)

Getting back to your original question, I have several friends that dive Flex suits. "Most" love them, some live with constant leaks and in one case, the suit literally fell apart within six months of very light useage.

I was paying close attention to all of this because I was buying a new suit a few years ago and based on their experiences, I bought a SANTI eMotion. I loved the suit until I wore in the water. To make a very long story short, I think that either I got a lemon or the fabric in those suits is just too light. To there credit, and my undying gratitude, Halcyon got tired of SANTI dragging their feet and replaced the suit for me after two years. They urged me to "up size" to the eMotion PLUS. That suit has been awesome in every way. I find the plastic zippers are fussy and need to be tended to carefully, but as long as I do that I'm dry.

My overall impression of DUI suits is that their more traditional crushed neo suits etc are great and it may be that they have an issue with their fabrics too. Such is the price of progress.

I have an origanal Whites Fusion Bullet with a drycore. The newer aircore suits are much nicer.
I have the same. I haven't even seen an air core suit yet because none of the dive shops around here have it for sale. I don't think it's THAT loud but I'm getting old so maybe I don't hear it so good.

I have seen and fitted the newer Aircore and really like them alot. They "breath" nicely and is a joy to don/dof compared to my drycore. I just cant justify a new core when mine is perfect and dry!

$249 for gloves that cost < $5.00

Aren't those seals glued onto the ring? Doesn't replacing them require a heat gun, glue and a dry place to do the work (eg not on a dive boat)? I hesitate to even guess what a replacement neck seal costs. . .

As noted - cost is the tradeoff. For DUI, the rings themselves are disposable - when gloves are worn out - you replace with a new set (no expectation that you use a heat gun etc...). FYI the $250 set are the fancy gloves with seals in them ( for those who want the extra assurance - personally I cut my seals on my ring gloves after the second time out, meaning that I am not the target market for that particularly expensive model). The normal gloves are $100 less (still out of wack), while the neck seals somewhat less than that (although still out of wack). I can say the gloves seem more durable than those I used with rings (may have to do with not being stretched over a set of solid rings). DUI used to make a set of zipseal gloves out of neoprene - if you can find a pair of those, they are awesome (and easily repairable with some aquaseal).

Truth in advertising, I've never owned a DUI suit, I've dived with people who do, including those with zip seal gloves

I just don't get how having bulky gloves permanently installed is an advantage. You have minimal dexterity when you're gearing up, particularly compared to SiTech or Kubi ring systems for the gloves when you gear up completely and then put on your gloves

Zip seals and Kubi rings are completely compatible. I have Kubi rings on my zip seals. I like the combination despite the bulk. If I tear a seal, I put on a spare. If I tear a glove, I put on a spare. Each of those operations only takes a few minutes. Also, if I tear a glove underwater, I can pluck out the piece of string that runs under the seal to let the glove equalize and not flood the suit up to the armpit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom