Millbrook Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been to Millbrook Quarry since Coral Edge took over the operations? What is different? Are all the beach entries still usable? Are all the platforms in the same place? What have the conditions been like?

Any recent conditions observations? I'm tempted to try Millbrook out, as it's much closer to me than Lake Phoenix. Thank you.

Any recent conditions observations? I'm tempted to try Millbrook out, as it's much closer to me than Lake Phoenix. Thank you.
Go ahead. Try it out. Tell us what you think. Just don't expect to see much.

Go ahead. Try it out. Tell us what you think. Just don't expect to see much.

I'm not expecting to be blown away. I'm just looking for somewhere to test out gear and log a few dives that isn't 2+ hours away. Lake Phoenix is just far enough away for me that it's not worth going down there for a day trip.

I finally made it to Millbrook today for their "Buddy Dive Day." When I arrived, I chatted with one of the guys from CEA for a few minutes. He indicated that they were going to be closing the gate two hours earlier than the time posted on the website.

I should not have assumed that the 'Last Dive by' time on the 'Millbrook Quarry' webpage is accurate, as much of the information on that page is out of date and/or no longer relevant.

The impression I had was that showing up for this once a month event would result in you getting paired up with someone...either from the shop or another diver that showed. Perhaps that would have happened if I arrived earlier. I ended up going it alone.

A few things:

-I'd put the visibility in the 6-8' range.

As a point of reference...I just dove the Chesapeake Bay yesterday. The visibility was 4'. That made Millbrook visibility look pretty sweet. Well...sweet might be a stretch, but being able to see more than a foot past your hand is a nice thing.

-The temperature was 52* on the surface. 51.5* at 10'. 50* at 20'. 48.8* at 30'. 47.8* at 40'.

-Parking is VERY convenient. Drop the tailgate, gear up, and head down the path to the quarry. I was pleasantly surprised to see how close parking is to the water.

-For anyone that's been to Millbrook before... the road to the right that leads to a set of entry points is coned off. The parking and entry areas that were in use today were the ones to the left.

-I didn't realize that they have a pair of changing rooms. I was fixing to yank my wet suit off in the parking area and one of the guys yelled over that there's a heated changing room. Even at 50*, it was nice to have a heated space to dry off and change in.

Other than the changing rooms, there appeared to be no on site conveniences or facilities. You will need to have a complete gear setup (to included weights and tank(s)) or have rented it beforehand.

Conclusion:

I would dive at Millbrook again. If you're like me and you just want a convenient local dive location that you can hit on occasion...Millbrook is a viable option.

Hit Millbrook today with @Sean Walberg. It was 35* out with a steady rain. The combination of the rain and cold made for a good time setting up gear.:popcorn:

Mostly 6'-8' visibility, but it opened up past 10' in some spots around 30'-40' of depth.

The water was a bit colder today. 48.7* at 10', 47.4* at 20', 46.1* at 30', 44.8* at 40', and 44.4* at 50'.

I had a good time, but I'm happy to be warming up by the fireplace at the moment. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom