Divers Riding Whale Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh. Did you even read the first study? Effects of tourism? Or are you just reading the title? They didn't even find correlation, let alone causation.

My argument is not a straw man argument, I am saying its quite hypocritical to not let people ride whale sharks responsibly because you "think" its bad for them while they simultaneously litter the oceans with plastic that actually kills marine life.

Edit: Second study same thing. Did not find anything. I will never get that 45 seconds back.

Last edited:
I have always advocated and practiced observing animals in the wild... I even never went on a canned dive other than Stingray City as a fairly noob diver in 1991.

However, what is the point of this thread other than trying to piss and moan about the action of the diver in the video?

Go out to YouTube and search for "riding a whale shark" and you'll see TONS of others. This is not an isolated incident and this thread is worthless.

Again, I DO NOT condone the divers actions - I'm just saying this is not worth arguing about. We all know there are seriously retarded people out there, that diver being one of them.

And, If I may get back on my soapbox for 2 seconds...

If we do not allow swimming and riding on whale sharks, WE SHOULD ALSO TREAT DOLPHINS THE SAME WAY and outlaw/ban those cute dolphin swims too. Those really piss me off.

OK, I'm done. #RANTOVER

This particular instance happened in a National Marine Park with strict rules regarding interaction with marine life, especially so for that which is considered an endangered species, like the whale shark. Indonesia is not in the US nor bound by our laws. They broke what equates to Federal law in that country.

Morally, I'm not against peaceful interaction with marine life, even a whale shark. I didn't see a peaceful interaction in that video.

ps, for those unaware, whale sharks are not fast swimmers, they move quite slowly, quickly Darting away like some species isn't an option.

While I am not a big fan of dolphin interaction, I think the argument could be made that dolphins seek out and love interaction with others of their species and even humans. There are many documented cases of wild dolphins interacting with people and even rescuing scuba divers. They even playfully swim with our waterborne vessels. They are a very social after all and are believed to be the smartest animals on the planet.

Whale sharks on the other hand appear to be very solitary in there natural environments, perhaps they crave that solitude and do not like people approaching them. We will never know for sure but I personally believe that we should leave them be and give them a wide berth.

Now your just throwing darts at a dart board. How will we ever know? Basically the studies that were posted with whale sharks were like 15 minute interactions. They observed 12 minutes of abnormal behavior in short term but that is literally all they found.

So is this euphoric? I don't understand why it wouldn't be, on the other hand it doesn't matter cause it doesn't hurt them. Like anything else yes there should be some guidelines how we interact with them. But tossing people in jail for doing so is ludicrous.

One of the 1st things I was taught during my OW class? Take nothing but pictures/memories, leave nothing but bubbles. That meant to me you are to disturb and touch nothing, including corals and other animals. I’ve followed that rule for 29 yrs.

Dolphins are beloved, that’s why “there is nothing wrong with dolphin swims…” Flipper made the world love dolphins, but it is in the whale family… There are also tons of videos out there documenting dolphin to human attacks. Look it up.

With regards to sharks, they have been marketed as a hated animal, when in reality they are one of the most beautiful and fascinating creatures I have even had the pleasure of diving with and have never seriously threatened me.

Again, the diver in the video is mentally retarded. But so are the ones that do the dolphin swims, sea lion swims and get their picture taken with the Mexican hat wearing iguanas in Isla Mujeres.

And, If I may get back on my soapbox for 2 seconds...

If we do not allow swimming and riding on whale sharks, WE SHOULD ALSO TREAT DOLPHINS THE SAME WAY and outlaw/ban those cute dolphin swims too. Those really piss me off.

OK, I'm done. #RANTOVER
Agreed - dolphins should not be kept in captivity and used like circus animals.

Agreed - dolphins should not be kept in captivity and used like circus animals.

I thought the same thing, but when I was in the DR I had to step back. I talked to some of the handlers and was really impressed with the knowledge and relationship they had with the dolphins. I didn't ride them personally but they have a pin on the shoal out before the reef edge. They let all the dolphins go before the hurricane, and they came back all of them. Some of the dolphins are rescued dolphins from Miami. So how do we know they don't also enjoy the human interaction and easy meals? Who are we to say you can't rescue dolphins in the wild and give them a home like you would a dog?

I live on a lake. We have wild Canadian Geese. They are a nuisance animal. People in the neighborhood feed them. Feeding them makes them stay here. The geese have easily survived without our help, they do not need to be fed. If they are destined to die, so be it.

The dolphins come back because they are not stupid, they know where the free meal is, just like a stupid goose.

I'm not opposed to saving an animal, but if it will never live in the wild again, I don't see the point in saving it just to keep it as an exploited pet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom