Planning out my first BP/W: critique my ingredients list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Splitting off from this thread, since it's drifted quite a bit from the original question.

Ok, I'm starting to zero in on a mix-n-match BP/W system and would love feedback.

About me:
New diver, trained on jacket BCD but ready to make the switch. This will be for local cold-water diving (mostly in Monterey), single-tank recreational only. I dive steel tanks locally.

I'm 5'8", male, 145 lbs.
Total price: $456

A few specific questions:
  • The DGX SS backplate is only $75. Does the Hog plate above offer significant advantages worth the extra $45?
  • Is the 35# wing overkill? If I only need 30# lift, will the extra material on the 35# be annoying or is it a trivial difference?
  • The harness seems like maybe a good place to save money. Is there any reason to go with the Halcyon harness above vs putting my own together piecemeal with webbing, d-rings, etc?
  • Anything else I'll need?
Open to all thoughts & suggestions. Thanks!

-I would not pay more for the HOG plate. DGX is good to go.

-The 35lb wing should be fine. I doubt you would notice the difference on that design.

-I dont see any reason to buy the Halcyon harness unless you want to show off the logo and pay a premium. I would just order the parts individualy from DGX and put one together.

Overall that should be a good rig for you IMO....

I know VDH is out of SS plates. I assume that's why you dont just pick up a package from them? It's really a lot of extra expense (extra $150) vs just buying the complete package from VDH and adding some weights to the plate. Also having trim pouches on cam bands will allow you to move the weight around to tune your trim.

One thing I bought later when I put mine together was extra mounting screws DGX Assembly Screws, Metal, Set of TWO

The kits seem to only have 1 for some reason. I like having both top and bottom locked down even though technically the tank will hold it together. Also bear in mind the kits have an offset hole punched and a brass rivet / ring thing already set up which is nice vs just buying webbing and doing it yourself. Im all for DIY, but I don't think you will save any money piecing the harness together vs just buying the $50 one from VDH/dgx. I also don't see any reason to use a brand name one for the harness or the plate. The quality on parts from those 2 vendors is great.

The other thing I learned was to buy a couple extra of these to lock the harness position to the plate DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide

Some will claim it's unnecessary, but for me it made making adjustments measurable and repeatable. You will spend a couple hours monkeying around with it your first time :wink:

I'm not sure where you are at, but if you're near SF you are more than welcome to come check mine out.

1) no, dgx is fine
2) no, difference in size is minimal
3) putting your own harness together from dgx is less

7 slides, 5 drings, a buckle, and 16 ft of webbing is less than 25.

you would save a little bit waiting to see if vdh has availability of ss plates again soon.

• The DGX SS backplate is only $75. Does the Hog plate above offer significant advantages worth the extra $45?
No the Hog plate does not offer any significant advantage, especially one that would cost $45....Unless you are of the school of thought that the Hog logo is a significant advantage.
  • Is the 35# wing overkill? If I only need 30# lift, will the extra material on the 35# be annoying or is it a trivial difference?
I have the 35# lift Dive Rite Voyager wing....it has bungee that keeps the material relatively compressed when deflated.....I don't notice it on my back. I don't know anything about the VDH Argonaut but if it is designed similar to the Dive Rite Voyager, it shouldn't be a problem. YMMV.
  • The harness seems like maybe the simplest item & best to save money. Should I consider a cheaper harness than the Halcyon above?
Yes, you should consider a cheaper harness than the Halcyon....unless of course you are partial to the Halcyon brand, then this would be right up your alley.
  • Which cam bands to use with this system?
My recommendation is just purchase/use standard cam bands like the ones DGX sells. They are inexpensive and effective. The quick release type (scuba pro / Aqualung) are great if you are using the same diameter tank everytime you dive, but they are combersome if you have to adjust them to fit if you are are switching between different tanks often.
  • Anything else I'll need?
Weight belt/weight pocket system, perhaps?

Why not just get the DGX package? $299. with free shipping. Cam bands, backplates and harnesses are all pretty generic. Wings show some variation in design.

cuts it close on the amount of lift needed if you use a larger tank and dive wet in california. a two piece 7mm and a hp120 can exceed the lift of the dgx 25lb wing for some.

Ok, based on all the helpful comments, here's an updated plan:

Total: $380

I know VDH is out of SS plates. I assume that's why you dont just pick up a package from them? It's really a lot of extra expense (extra $150) vs just buying the complete package from VDH and adding some weights to the plate.

Correct, I was told it would be at least late October before they have the plates back in stock. I have a lot of diving planned between now and then and would prefer to start getting my rig figured out, though I suppose I could wait and keep diving with a jacket BCD in the meantime if it would be worth it.

Why not just get the DGX package? $299. with free shipping. Cam bands, backplates and harnesses are all pretty generic. Wings show some variation in design.

Only option for a wing seems to be 25#, and my understanding was that I should have at least 30 lbs of lift for cold-water diving.

I dive a Halcyon 40lb wing. (It was on a rig I won). Can’t tell the difference with the smaller DRIS wing I used to have. Heavy wetsuits and steel HP80 tanks.

Ok, based on all the helpful comments, here's an updated plan:

Total: $380

This is what I just did except I got the VDH 23 lb wing and coloured webbing from Pirahna. I also made my crotch strap. I am pleased with how it all works.

I just need to find some weight pockets.

Back
Top Bottom