Hydros BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love mine. I've done over 20 dives with it. No issues with the shoulder straps. (Mine is a newer version). It says the BC is neutrally buoyant so theoretically you should be able to use less weight but everyone's different. I'm 6'2", weight 215lbs and use 12lbs of weight with a full 3mm wet-suit. It is not cheap but I wanted it.

Me and my wife have Hydros Pro. We did 15 dive each with them. Initially i was afraid that traps can be fragile. During my liveabord i was using 15 L aluminium tank, many times assissting people were taking my BCD by strap to the boat and nothing happened. This BCD has option to attach lanyards (for torch or DSMB). These lanyards are quite inconvenient as when i was trying to take out my DSMB in the water, it's air release rope stuck in that lanyard and i was struggling to take it out. Also, i am not sure whether these lanyards would securely hold torch. Also, do not buy Scubapro Mako Titanium knife, which nicely attaches to BCD. Knife is not sharp and has little use if it is not specifically sharpened (instead of that knife buy Eezycut Trilobite as it is simpler, cheaper and much more sharper).

Overall i was satisfied with my BCD. Regarding "less lead" i can not comment as previously i was diving with 3 mm shorty but used 5 mm full wetsuit in combo with Hydros Pro.

- The Hydros shoulder straps are on their third (I think) revision now to fix the original issue with them. Personally, I have been using my Hydros with a steel 100 tank and no lead (as I don't need any) and I pick it up by one shoulder strap and swing it onto my back all the time. No problems yet. I'm not sure which revision of the shoulder straps mine has, but I think it's the second version. It's definitely not the third (presuming a third has actually been released).

- @rsingler, a BCD can require less lead if it's more dense. The Hydros doesn't have any padding to make it floaty. And the monoprene FEELS more dense than the typical back plate/pad material on other BCDs. I am inclined to believe the claims that it is neutral. I have tested mine in the pool using an (almost - 250psi) empty AL80 and it takes me 6 # of lead to be able to sink while wearing a 3/2 full suit. 5 might even be enough, but I don't have any 2.5 pound weights... :)

- ScubaPro DOES have female-specific cuts for the Hydros. They actually have something like 8 different size/shape versions of the shoulder straps, between the different sizes and shapes for men and the different sizes and shapes for women. Plus different sized versions of the back plate itself. I don't know, but I don't think the back plate portion has different gender versions. I think it's just the shoulder straps.

- The Hydros IS really expensive. If I had to pay full price, I would dive a back plate and wing for less than half the price and be perfectly happy. But, I work for a shop and got my Hydros at a substantial discount. For anyone else, the cost is a personal decision, so who can say what someone else should spend their money on. I have LONG said that the BEST reason to buy anything is simply "because I want it." And the Hydros IS the best overall BCD that I have used. Not enough better than my BP/W to be worth $900 TO ME. But, better nonetheless.

My wife and I both have a Hydros - I went from a jacket style to the Hydros and would never go back. Absolutely comfortable

My wife and I both each own Hydros setups and we love them. They do indeed make women’s and men’s sizes/different BC’s. We both dive with less weight using them but only by about 2lbs each. I had a (excellent) SP Glide X before the Hydros and my wife had an AquaLung BC and we will never go back. They were not cheap but they were worth it to us.

We have our smbs bungeed to the back bottom backplate and it works great. We also have the Mako knives and like them too. We put the optional d-ring brackets under each weight pocket initially because we thought it would be a useful additional support bracket for the weight pouches but it turned out to be completely unneeded. When we fly now we are able to carry on our entire kit minus fins and boots. They turned out to be the right choice for us.

We are going diving soon and have the Hydros Pro's inbound. Curious about the SMB's attached to the bottom of the backplate. Does that cause any issues while on the boat while attached to the tank? With AL80's will the SMB's (+ finger spool) run any risk of damage etc. because they'll be hitting the bench in front of the tank 'holders'? What size SMB's do you have attached? TIA.

My wife and I both each own Hydros setups and we love them. They do indeed make women’s and men’s sizes/different BC’s. We both dive with less weight using them but only by about 2lbs each. I had a (excellent) SP Glide X before the Hydros and my wife had an AquaLung BC and we will never go back. They were not cheap but they were worth it to us.

We have our smbs bungeed to the back bottom backplate and it works great. We also have the Mako knives and like them too. We put the optional d-ring brackets under each weight pocket initially because we thought it would be a useful additional support bracket for the weight pouches but it turned out to be completely unneeded. When we fly now we are able to carry on our entire kit minus fins and boots. They turned out to be the right choice for us.

I have SP HydrosPro and initially was attaching my DSMB with bungee tied to BCD (as it was recommended by SP), however, it was extremely inconvenient. When I wanted to deploy DSMB it was quite hard to take it from bungee as DSMB inflator was always sticking to bungee. Now I attach my DSMB to D ring on bottom and it is really convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom