Puerto Galera water temperatures in November and December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoodyLompoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In researching a possible trip to Puerto Galera, for Thanksgiving or Christmas, we have been receiving very different responses, from the area dive shops, on what to expect for water temperatures.

Would anyone, who has dived there, either of those times of the year, be able to let us know what to expect for water temps?

This will also be the fist time to the Philippines for our family (four adult divers) who are into photography and the small stuff. So we would be open to other Philippines destinations, with not TOO complex logistics, as two of us have limited vacation time and would like the time in the water rather than making complex travel connections in country.

Thanks

I dived in Puerto Galera this past December and the water temp was 77 degrees F. I wore a 3mm shorty and did get a wee bit chilled by the end of the trip and would have been fine in a 3mm full suit. The weather for our trip wasn't the best--rain, wind or overcast all five days there but its toward the end of the rainy season and the weather can be pretty unpredictable that time of year. I dove there the year before and we had a typhoon hit the day after Christmas which really knocked out Puerto Galera and ended our diving for a couple of days and no one could leave or arrive there by boat. I don't know how much time you have to spend in the Philippines but I can also recommend Dauin (fly from Manila to Dumaguete) for small stuff and a trip out to Apo Island for your typical reef diving if you want a change. I dived in Dauin a week or so before going to Puerto Galera and the water temp there was 81 degrees F--nice. It's about a one hour flight to Dumaguete and you could get there and to your hotel in about the same time it would take you to travel from Manila to Puerto Galera if you get a good connection for a flight.

Last edited:
Anilao is the macro capital in the country and is only about 3hrs from Manila International airport. You can mix it with PG which is just across the channel. Plenty of posts about these two places for anyone to digest.
Christmas is the worst time to travel into the country for various reasons. (1)The returning overseas workers and the flight is more expensive from 15th Dec onward. (2) Foreign tourists. (3) Locals travelling back to their own provinces. (4) Advanced reservation is highly recommended in most dive resorts. (5)......
I would avoid to travel around Christmas if I can help it.

Weather has been very unpredictable over last few years!
Thermal protection is very personal but a 3mm full suit + hood + vest should be adequate for most divers.

I dive both Puerto Galera and Anilao year round. 90% of the time I am fine in 3mm full, 3mm booties, no vest, no hood. But I so have a 2mm hooded vest on standby in my gear box for when I need it. It usually only gets used on repetitive dives if the thermoclines and cold, late Dec-Feb.

Of course thermal is very subjective, but I am 5'10" 160lbs, semi athletic, diving bp/w.

Third week of October last year it was in the low 80's at almost every dive in PG. It was a little lower on the Alma Jane wreck at 90 feet and the Pinnacle site on Verde Island, not much lower maybe high 70's. I wore a 3mm and was fine.

Oh, although I mentioned it above, I should expand a bit... the thermoclines can be cold Dec-Feb. Typical water temp is about 25-22°c (77-71°f) but deep thermoclines can be as low as 20-19°c (68-66°f). I would plan for mid 70s and add thermal on your next dives if necessary for your comfort. The retail dive shops around there usually have hoods and vests available of you don't already have.

Enjoy! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom