Keys dive charters suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you on this one. Key Largo is an extremely popular diving spot, it's going to get crowded. When in Key Largo I like to use Horizon and Rainbow Reef. They can be considered "crowded" on their rec dive boats, but their service has been top notch.

Crowded can sometimes be a good thing. Would you like to be the only diner at a restaurant? How about the only one at nightclub? On a dive boat, you can meet and converse with a variety of like-minded people. Embrace the fun.

I never looked at it that way thanks for the new perspective

I love the Florida Keys. It's fast and convenient to get there and you have lots of choices of wrecks and reefs.

Here's my favorite Ops- Rainbow Reef. Lots of boats and they usually have availability when others are full. One caveat they are a busy operation and put a lot of divers in the water at once. But there's usually plenty of room for everyone on the reefs.

Ocean Divers. I think of them as more of a wreck diving operation although they do everything but they are one of the few that do a wreck trek of up to 3 wrecks on a single trip. They also have large boats that tend to fill up on a recent trip we had reserved well in advance and we were all good but they were getting lots of calls in the office and turning people away because they were booked solid.

Conch Republic Divers. A smaller operation but friendly and they have 1 big and 1 small boat so there's flexibility and they don't tend to fill up. They are lower down so they can easily get to the big wrecks such as the Eagle.

I have read lots of reviews and I think a bad dive operator in the Florida Keys is like a unicorn. They don't exist! If they once did they're extinct. Customer service sells and word travels quickly in the diving community.

- C

Since you are staying in Marathon, ypu are in a positiin to easily dive the Lower, Middle, & Upper Keys.
For Key West, try Dive Key West for a day & maybe dive the Vandenberg.
Looe Key is a lovely reef worthy of a dive trip.
Marathon area was the hardest hit by Irma & some businesses may not come back. Also they are struggling ti get enough tourism back to sustain all if those small businesses. You will need to call around.
Key Largo has the most diving ops & sites and was back in business within weeks. Above posters have given you some great recommendations for the Upper Keys.
Please check the FKNMS Blue Star operators who have been awarded this designation for running eco-conscious dive trips. Blue Star Operators | Office of National Marine Sanctuaries

I live in KL and am always happy to answer your questions.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Back
Top Bottom