Is there any demo video performing rescue skill - remove people from water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a demo video that shows how to remove people from water at shore (not at a pool). I want to find a rescue skill demo for carrying an unconscious victim out of water and put him/she on back by only one man, but I couldn't find one.

Last edited:
Google fireman’s carry
What's the standard for carrying people out of the water? Because my instructor taught me to do a piggyback carry in a rescue course.

What's the standard for carrying people out of the water? Because my instructor taught me to do a piggyback carry in a rescue course.
As stated above, fireman’s carry...or drag the person if this is not possible.

Conscious or unconscious? You can't piggyback an unconscious victim.

The size of the rescuer and patient will also have a bearing on how to extricate the victim.

Bottom line, you need a variety of options. Practice all off them. Don't teach a single way because if that way is not possible, you'll waste precious time figuring out what will work and learning it on the job.

Conscious or unconscious? You can't piggyback an unconscious victim.

The size of the rescuer and patient will also have a bearing on how to extricate the victim.

Bottom line, you need a variety of options. Practice all off them. Don't teach a single way because if that way is not possible, you'll waste precious time figuring out what will work and learning it on the job.
An unconscious one. My instructor taught me some techniques similar to this video (but not exactly the same):

So what are the methods for different size patients?

Personally, I would not use that type of carry, but I'm not saying it's wrong, just not what I would do. Here's why - Once you get them out of the water, they lose their buoyancy and you have a lot of dead weight. That dead weight can pull you backwards and over because of the leverage factor. Think about how you would tow a tired or unconscious diver toward shore, backwards and under the arms. Use that same position to drag them out. Use yourself and your weigh for leverage, not theirs against it.

As for different sizes, dragging will cover most combinations, but won't be the most expeditious. Flyboy08 recommendation of the fireman's carry is the most expedient, but not an option if you (the rescuer) are much smaller, tired, etc.

Just as you plan a dive, plan a rescue. Think ahead of time about what you would do with your particular buddy, or every member of your dive group.

Unload as much weight as possible as you approach shore. Carrying an unconcious victim is a lot of dead weight, and you will likely be taxed from the dive already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom