Removing the valves on tanks for shipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BtheVet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've sold some tanks and will be shipping them via Fedex. What is the best way to remove the valves for shipping without damaging the tanks?

First, let the air out slowly :) It usually doesn't take all that much effort to remove a tank valve because (modern valves) are O-ring sealed. I just hit the valve with the palm of my hand to turn it counter-clockwise. If it's stuck I may put on a glove so I don't hurt my hand too much.

I'd put in a plug or put tape over the opening to keep dust and moisture out.

It's an older steel tank Sherwood Genesis 120 (about 1994). I haven't been able to simply unscrew the valve by hand. And I don't want to harm it by forcing it. Do I just need more bruticaine?

There are tank vises that use a strap to hold the tank while you put a wrench on the flat spot on the valve. Perhaps a ratcheted tie-down with the tank strapped to a work-bench leg might work? There are tools that screw into DIN valves to get you more leverage but I've never used one and it seems kinda "iffy."

if it has the offset or modular valve, you can try tapping it lightly with a rubber mallet on the side away from the knob. otherwise, if you can find a 5/8 BSP threaded rod or pipe, you can screw that on the din valve to use as a handle.

Smack the valve with a rubber mallet counter clockwise if you cannot get a wrench on the flat spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom