Thailand Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Thailand from 29/1/2018 to 17/2/2018. As I'm flying in from NYC, I expect to be in Bangkok for a few days recovering from the time change and jet lag. I'm hoping this leaves me with ~16 days to travel and dive in Thailand. I'm hoping to visit 3-4 different places that aren't totally overrun with tourists and partying backpackers, and maybe also do a Liveaboard.

I've been reading a lot of reviews, and it seems like the Adaman coast is the area to concentrate on for the best diving. I'm toying with the following possible itineary:

Ko Lipe
Ko Lanta
Somewhere on Phuket and then perhaps a 3-4 day liveaboard to the Similian/Surin Islands

Ko Phi Phi sounds like a place I might want to visit on a day trip from Ko Lanta, but probably not stay overnight. I've read up a bit on Ko Tao, but it doesn't sound worth it given the amount of travel to get there from the Adaman coast.

Any tips/pointers are appreciated. Thanks.

You're right, Andaman side has the best diving, and this is best time of year for it. The locations you've picked out are good, but quite a lot to try to squeeze in, esp when you consider travel time between the islands. Maybe skip Phuket and spend more time elsewhere before heading to your liveaboard...unless you really want to see what Phuket's all about (in which case 1 night would probably do!).

Some fairly decent diving around Koh Lipe although not the best Thailand has on offer. It's a lovely island to chill and do some easy relaxed diving. Many of the sites are only a short longtail boat ride away and are done as 1-tank trips. Pattaya beach is probably aesthetically nicer, esp further west down the beach, and will be more protected from any waves this time of year (although there shouldn't really be anything significant). We stayed at Wapi on Sunrise beach in October 2016 which is next door to Adang Sea divers - can recommend both. Decent snorkelling around the little islands in front of Sunrise beach too (best on Lipe). One thing to be aware of on Koh Lipe is the amount of longtail boats parked up. They were all on Sunrise beach when we were there as it was the calmer side of the island at that time. There are areas to the northern and southern ends of the beach that are clear though. I believe many of the boats get parked up on the Pattaya side in dry season. Also worth noting that you can walk fairly easily, or get a motorcycle taxi, between the beaches.

Koh Lanta would be an excellent choice. The island's relatively unspoilt by tourism, so far at least, and some of the sites accessed from Koh Lanta are fantastic! ...Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, the Bidas, Koh Haa, Koh Phi Phi etc. We were particularly lucky and saw a whale shark at Koh Haa, then 2 days later saw mantas at Hin Muang and Hin Daeng.
We stayed on Klong Dao beach which is very safe for children and is popular with families and older couples. The vibe in the evening is laid back, with restaurants and some bars all along the beachfront. Each beach on Lanta has a different character so do your research to find what suits you. We were happy diving with Lanta Diver (March 2014) but you're spoilt for choice on Lanta, some very good operators from what I gathered through research and visiting the shops.

The main beaches on Phuket are very different from the islands above. We stayed on Kata Beach which is much less busy than say Patong, but still a little busy for our tastes to be honest. Phuket's where the package tours head to. There's some good diving from Phuket, eg King Cruiser, Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai etc. Day trips leave from Chalong but all ops seem to offer ‘free’ hotel pick up service. It can be a long day out though.

Koh Phi Phi is, unfortunately, mainly over developed and over-crowded now, although the beaches on the east coast are much quieter. We really enjoyed Phi Phi Relax Resort which has a little dive centre (or at least did a couple of years ago).

I find this website useful: https://www.travelfish.org/country/Thailand
Tezza also offers some good info, if you have be bothered to read through it all! Tezza's Beaches and Islands

Another location to consider may be Krabi?

I can't give any advice on liveaboards.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more advice from the SB Thailand experts/residents.

Have fun :)

Last edited:
The Andaman Sea is definitely where it's at for the better diving in Thailand. I've stayed on Phuket during four trips, and appreciate its more central location for diving the small islands to the south, the Similan & Surin chain to the north, and even Krabi Province for some cave diving. The towns of Phuket, being fairly touristy, enjoy a variety of things to do when one isn't busy diving. I've gravitated toward Patong, which has a great beach and wonderful food from all over the world.

My favorite islands to the south are Koh Bida Nai and Koh Bida Nok. Though I still haven't had a chance to dive Hin Muang / Daeng. These are about an hour or so boat ride from the sound end of Phuket, where the dive op's shuttle bus will drop you off and pick you back up. The live aboard trips to the Similans leave from Khao Lak, which is about an hour ride north from Patong.

As for the liveaboards themselves, I can heartily recommend the MV Pawara, operated by West Coast Divers, or the MV Manta Queen III, operated by Khao Lak Scuba Adventures. Both of these are dedicated scuba vessels, with comfortable cabins and great food. Diving starts from a giant stride off the back of the boat, and it's easy to do four or even five dives a day. The routine is dive, eat, sleep, repeat. Though many of the southern-most sites in the Similans have seen heavy traffic over the years, diving keeps getting better the farther north you go. Make sure to book a trip that includes Richelieu Rock.

We have done Ko Lanta and the Similans twice. Ko Lanta is a wonderful island and is nearest the excellent sites of Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. I honestly would not recommend staying in Phuket for these sites as you will spend hours and hours on boats.

Best fishes

It really depends on what the OP wants to do.

From Phuiket daytrips are possible to most destinations, except for Koh Haa and Hin Daeng/Muang, plus for liveaboards transfers from Phuket are included or at a small surcharge. From Khao Lak you can do trips to Similans etc., daytrips and liveaboards, from Ao Nang daytrips to Phi Phi area and King Cruiser-Shark Point, and from Lanta daytrips to Koh Haa, Hin Daeng/Muang and Phi Phi. From Lanta/Ao Nang you will also find 1-2 liveaboard options, but very limited choice.

I'll be in Thailand from 29/1/2018 to 17/2/2018. As I'm flying in from NYC, I expect to be in Bangkok for a few days recovering from the time change and jet lag. I'm hoping this leaves me with ~16 days to travel and dive in Thailand. I'm hoping to visit 3-4 different places that aren't totally overrun with tourists and partying backpackers, and maybe also do a Liveaboard.

I've been reading a lot of reviews, and it seems like the Adaman coast is the area to concentrate on for the best diving. I'm toying with the following possible itineary:

Ko Lipe
Ko Lanta
Somewhere on Phuket and then perhaps a 3-4 day liveaboard to the Similian/Surin Islands

Ko Phi Phi sounds like a place I might want to visit on a day trip from Ko Lanta, but probably not stay overnight. I've read up a bit on Ko Tao, but it doesn't sound worth it given the amount of travel to get there from the Adaman coast.

Ko Lipe
Ko Lanta

Another option is to dive the Mergui Archipelago in Myanmar. It's off the beaten track and if you lengthen your liveaboard to around 7 nights you could include it in a liveaboard visiting the Similan Islands, Richelieu Rock and the Surin Islands as well.

I wasn't certified when I visited Phuket, so I didn't dive from there. I found it to be way too touristy, and the ugly kind of touristy, where people are there to party, like they would at home, but harder because it's cheap. I'd avoid.

I got certified on Koh Tao for both OW and AOW. The waters around there are quite calm and the island life is very chill. (There's partying but not excessive like in Phuket.) The place to stay is Sariee Beach. The diving isn't spectacular but if you're looking for easy, relaxing dives, this place is it. Sometimes there are excursions to Sail Rock, which is about an hour+ out and that's a worthwhile trip, in case a whale shark wanders by. I recommend Davy Jones' Locker, as that's the only outfit I've dove with over four trips. (DJL also has a sister shop on Koh Lipe, though I haven't been there.)

Koh Lanta is great! All the dive sites listed above have plenty to see. Most trips are about an hour+ out. Usually you relax over some included breakfast on the way out, do a dive, snack on some fresh fruit, do another dive, then have lunch on the way back. I recommend Andaman Dive Adventures. I dove with them two years ago and they had just gotten new equipment and a fresh boat (either new or very recently refurbed and painted).

"I found it to be way too touristy, and the ugly kind of touristy, where people are there to party, like they would at home, but harder because it's cheap. I'd avoid."

You're making the same mistake many people making, mistaking Patong for Phuket. Phuket is a province with many things to do, Patong is one place on the island of Phuket.
And even for Patong I think your description is not correct.

"I found it to be way too touristy, and the ugly kind of touristy, where people are there to party, like they would at home, but harder because it's cheap. I'd avoid."

You're making the same mistake many people making, mistaking Patong for Phuket. Phuket is a province with many things to do, Patong is one place on the island of Phuket.
And even for Patong I think your description is not correct.

Sorry. I will amend further and say only the area nearby Bangla Road. It was too much for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom