Can you repair neoprene wrist seals (drysuit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neevo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just snagged a great deal on a Scubapro Everdry 4 drysuit with all the bits with it. The suit is in immaculate condition, only 18 months old and only dived around 40-50 times.

I've not gotten it wet yet but I suspect it's a solid buy. However it looks like the previous owner had an issue with a fingernail and tearing one of the wrist seals, as it's been repaired with a soft glue/resin type material which has the same characteristics as the neoprene glide seals. I suspect it's fine to dive but if I have the money and time, I'd lie to get it looked at and probably repaired. I'm not a fan of having damaged gear.

I'll be ensuring the seals are powdered moving forward and will have some talc in the dive bag too.

Wondering if this can be repaired and how they do it? Eg do they glue a new cone of neoprene over the top of the old or do they have to cut the wrist off?

The old seal is removed and a new one glued and sewn in.
If the repair that's already been done seems solid and is watertight then it should be fine.

If you diy at all wrist and neck seals aren't tough at all to replace yourself, latex or neoprene. There's plenty of threads already on how to, just start searching and reading.

Hi Neevo, congratulations on getting a deal on the Everdry dry suit. It's a really nice suit.

You might consider using K-Y jelly instead of powder on the wrist seals. It works much better for me and won't gum up the dump valve with powder. Nothing required on the neck seal.

b.t.w if you decide to try K-Y jelly, be careful not to touch the inside if your mask with your fingers or it may start to fog up badly (learned through experience).

The old seal is removed and a new one glued and sewn in.
If the repair that's already been done seems solid and is watertight then it should be fine.

Might see how the repair goes then and if it has any problems I'll look to repair.

You might consider using K-Y jelly instead of powder on the wrist seals. It works much better for me and won't gum up the dump valve with powder. Nothing required on the neck seal

Good to know. Actually the seller mentioned KY as a way to get the seals on and I noticed they were very tight when I tried it on in the bedroom. Either way I'll need a solution for the wrist seals as they're very snug.

There are alternatives to KY. I use O3's Jollop on mine but I've also used a product called slippy-don which is very similar.
You'll struggle with talc and neoprene if the seals are still wet from the previous dive.

Back
Top Bottom