Where the best place to dive in Bali in September and good dive company to go through

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving on holiday or going on holiday to dive. I've done most of my diving with Bali scuba in Sanur including training. I've found them very safe and their DM very knowledgeable on the local dives. The disadvantage is travel time to the North of the island. My next big dive trip to bali I will be looking to stay a few days in tulamben diving with some there to avoid the long drive each way. Another thing to consider if have a bit a time in bali is that spend some time on one of the Gili's diving. It's a couple of hours from Bali by boat with lots of accommodation choices on the island and the diving very good and different to Bali.

so, some of the replies were a little cryptic, largely because the question was wide open. But let me ask more succinctly for my plans and maybe that will enlarge the discussion a little.

We are going to Bali in Oct, it's the Chinese holiday, we know that means we will be fighting that crowd.

That said, we plan to spend 4 days in Tulamben, then hop the ferry over to Nusa Lembongan for 3 more.

We are competent divers. With sites that aren't terribly crazy we'll go off on our own or with a DM as the operator wants. But by and large, here's what we have heard and you can confirm or deny it.

Tulamben - there's three four basic dive sites, the Liberty Wreck, Drop Off, Rainbow Reef and Coral Gardens. All can be accessed from the beach, the entry over the fist sized rocks is the only difficult part, surf entry is almost non-existent.

We understand that all of these sites are probably well within the ability levels of divers with 100-300 dives. Whether the dive could be improved with a DM by using on the first day or two, remains to hear you all.

A short list of some of the better dive operators would be nice. I've heard just on the reviews for a place we considered staying (Tulamben Wreck Divers) that the hotel was great but the diving overpriced. So what's the current rate for diving in Bali, or does it swing a bit based on where you are diving from?

Kubu - I don't know the dive sites here, only that I noted comments in other online forums that mention Kubu as a place to go dive in the Amed area of Bali.

Nusa Lembongan - this place came highly recommended as the OLD BALI and that it had some amazing drift dives where you might see manta and/or Mola mola. Blue Corner was a place recommended rather than Mushroom Bay.

To be honest, we like diving ourselves, but we also like having a DM that just kind of guides rather than forcing the pace. We want to control the pace and dive 3-4 times a day. We figure if we don't see it on one dive, there will be others. And of course what wreck can't be played of over and over.

So, we are kind of torn between just grabbing a tank and wandering around on our own, or grabbing a DM, getting the lay of the land and then wandering around on our own, or just hiring a DM to hang out with us the whole time.

Thanks for thoughts and comments.

Diving without a guide in Tulamben doesn't really happen as things are a bit more complex than simply walking around town with a tank and deciding to walk into the water anywhere ya want. The dive sites and entry points are "owned" by people and communities as are the platforms, parking, rinses, air you breath, view, security, etc... As with all things in Indonesia, especially when you are not local, policy and prices are very...ummmm...fluid. Dive guides work for you as much above water as below. Besides, without a good guide you will wonder why so many of us rave about Tulamben diving. With a good guide you will quickly see why Bali is World class. Just clearly communicate with you guide how you want to dive and he will get it. As for surf entries, most of the time entries are simple, but I have been in Tulamben when the surf was brutal. It happens. Anyway, Liberty Dive Center is an awesome op...Matihari is a bit cheaper, but do an awesome job too.

Lembongan is a fun little surf/dive area with easy runs to the drift dives around Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida when mantas and mola mola are pretty common. The currents are serious business and you should make diving with a solid op who makes safety, not mola mola encounters, his/her primary concern. This is no joke as Crystal Bay during mola mola season can be an absolute sh-t show of insane current, cold water and inexperienced divers desperate for mola mola and mantas around the corner at the manta sites. I usually head that way with Two Fish or Gekko Divers out of Padang Bai. If you like fast drift dives, pelagics, and healthy coral Nusa Penida will be right up your alley, just understand that local knowledge is really important and not every site is divable every day.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I'm asking. Lots of places have 'shore diving', but it is just as easy as grabbing a tank and going in wherever the entry points are. It's good to know that there is value in the guides and DMs above the surface other than being pack mules.

I'm not too worried about a couple dollars a tank, but $10 a tank adds up over the course of 3-4 days of diving.

You may see manta at Manta Point, but not sure if you see Mola Mola in Crystal Bay in October.

I dive with BALI SCUBA - great all inclusive dive operation, have their own facilities, transport and boats.

Yes, definitely one of the best and most experienced operators around, especially these days so many cut price, low quality, new-kids-on-the-block.

I can recommend twofish lembongan as a good operator. I think the management of lots of their branches have changed and I think standards may have been affected. That said we enjoyed twofish on lembongan. For diving there in October you will probably see mola. Mantas are hot or miss with the tides and weather and luck. But when we're there in October we say around 15 mola. Crystal bay is an absolute cluster f**k in high season but that said I did get 15mins 2 on 1 with a mola at 32m. The weather will likely be good and it has some lovely places to eat on the island.

Tulamben diving is top quality. We used twofish out of sanur but the management hasn't changed from that office and I am
Not sure how it runs now. That said diving tulamben and amed was very good for
Macro. We dived from liberty wreck divers and it seemed like a good setup.

I can put a few good words for World Diving Lembongan. Dove with them twice and heading back in August again... What I liked the most were their speed boats, important during high season, just to get to the dive sites faster before all 'cattle' boats arrive:wink: LOL... Plus, when I dove with them during low season, they went out with only me as a diver.... Will give you another update in August:wink: Also, they give discount to returning divers...

Regarding Tulamben, Liberty Dive Resort, is the one I went recently and really loved it. Free Nitrox, everything was smooth, very relaxing place. I did bunch of early sunrise dives on the wreck every morning, highly recommended.

Around Candidasa and Padang Bai, I dove with Bali Bubbles and loved it, too. Excellent and safe conscious outfit for diving the Blue lagoon near Padang Bai and around the rocky outcrops: Biaha, Tepekong and Mimpang known for 'crazy' currents... So much fun:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom