Are the reefs in Okinawa protected in any way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa1234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!
I recently went on a trip to Okinawa for diving. Above water, everything was wonderful but I was rather shocked at some things that happened while diving.

Beyond quite a few unsafe practices, I noticed that divers were being encouraged by the DM to hold on to coral. The knees and elbows of rental wetsuits were completely shredded. At times, people were moving by digging their fins and knees into the reef and going hand over hand, it looked more like a rock climbing class than a diving trip. Nobody seemed to have been taught buoyancy control, DM included. Because the DM was always kicking the reef, everybody, especially the newer divers, stopped making efforts to avoid doing so too.

The DM was also a great fan of poking things with a stick and picking things up and moving them around, to the point where a boy started copying him and turning starfish and sea cucumbers onto their backs to take photos and not putting them back afterwards.

Mostly, though, I saw a lot of coral being kicked, grabbed, bumped into, and broken, during dives. I picked up several chunks of coral that I saw being broken to show the DM, and he just shrugged, I took pictures for the dive shop owner and he just shrugged too.
I saw OW classes where students spent the class kneeling on the reef, so it seems like they really just didn't care. I wanted to say something, but the language barrier made things difficult. I want to write them a letter, but don't know how to in Japanese., or where I might get something translated. I was also wondering if the reef in Okinawa was protected in any way, or if there were any kind of environmental conservation projects going on in the area? Or some organisation that could do something about this? Or even just a way to suggest the dive center offer a buoyancy class?

Last edited:
This is a common problem in Okinawa! I try to teach my divers to a higher standard than this and would not accept divers sitting, walking or climbing the reefs. I hope it makes my divers a bit more visible. Greetings from Okinawa.

Thinking about in which part of the world diving is already experiencing its recent and future largest growths, the ferocity with which that will happen (like all growth in China in recent decades) and the on dry land evident very different cultural attitude towards nature there, I fear those reefs in Okinawa are just a harbinger of the norm to be in the entire greater area. That in conjunction with transom ingredients reef systems into military bases etc. (Also only in its beginning) make me quite sick to the stomach.
The new owners of PADI may be holding a huge hand in the card game of how that plays. Of course their short term financial interests (getting as many inadequately trained tourists onto reefs as fast as possible) could be in conflict with what would be good longterm (protecting reefs and "exploiting" them in sustainable ways only. I hope and wish very much I am wrong and the voices there that plead with and for nature will be heard.

Totally shocking! Leaving aside the general attitude to marine life (whales/dolphins etc), I expected more from Japanese as I've always seen them as appearing responsible and skilful divers wherever I've seen them. Perhaps its a reflection of some localised attitudes in Okinawa, and more experienced and worldly Japanese divers are more educated / aware than that.

Last edited:
Thinking about in which part of the world diving is already experiencing its recent and future largest growths, the ferocity with which that will happen (like all growth in China in recent decades) and the on dry land evident very different cultural attitude towards nature there, I fear those reefs in Okinawa are just a harbinger of the norm to be in the entire greater area. That in conjunction with transom ingredients reef systems into military bases etc. (Also only in its beginning) make me quite sick to the stomach.
The new owners of PADI may be holding a huge hand in the card game of how that plays. Of course their short term financial interests (getting as many inadequately trained tourists onto reefs as fast as possible) could be in conflict with what would be good longterm (protecting reefs and "exploiting" them in sustainable ways only. I hope and wish very much I am wrong and the voices there that plead with and for nature will be heard.

I agree. I try to think positively but I fear the worst.
Divers aside, the current figures on shark finning are shocking, let alone poaching elephants, rhinos, tigers etc etc. There's gotta be a major attitude shift towards nature & sustainability in that part of the world.

Last edited:
Have seen the same and motivation why some of us became instructor and at least try to teach our students better.

NGO like Greenfins are trying to break into Japan and work with the local diveshops.

I hope they succeed.

Totally shocking! Leaving aside the general attitude to marine life (whales/dolphins etc), I expected more from Japanese as I've always seen them as appearing responsible and skilful divers wherever I've seen them. Perhaps its a reflection of some localised attitudes in Okinawa, and more experienced and worldly Japanese divers are more educated / aware than that.
Okinawa is not Japan.
Just ask any Okinawan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom