Dive Instructor Pulls Knife from Nurse Shark's Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not blindly condemning divers for the knife stuck in the shark. In fact, I fully agree with other posters that believe this knife was not the result of an attack by a diver, and like them, I have never seen any diver carry that type of knife. Like other posters have stated, this knife is the type fishermen use, and I have one very similar to the one pictured which I used for boning and skinning fish.

As far as the snakes are concerned, like you, I live in an are of South Central Texas that has all of the venomous snakes known to be in Texas, and in 24 years, I have seen only one water moccasin in a backwater area of our lake. We teach our grandkids to leave all snakes alone, but if I would ever see a viper or coral snake any where near our house or where the family plays or walks, I will kill it in a heartbeat because I would not take any risk of a family member being bitten. But, I also have made it my business to be able to identify which are harmful and which are not. It is not that hard of a task to learn to identify the threats.

Did not mean to imply that you were the condemning one. I was referring to the community in general and how human nature often steps on our special interests at times. As sharks go more than not non ocean divers don't see video on non aggressive sharks, Its the 5% of them that get the 90% of video coverage. Jaws would have been pretty boring if it were about a nurse shark. Unless perhaps it were of the giant Japanese nuclear mutated variety that roams the depths of theaters.

Positions like that are always easy to take when you are not the one directly involved. If i daily came across the snake you learn to quickly identify the good from the bad. If its a 50/50 guess adn you have family or other considerations. The snake is history. Especially when it is sunning on a rotted tree stump. Same goes with any snake with a viper shaped head. Im not running to google to check it out Im going for the hoe. The issue is not whether the snake is harmless, Its often and issue of identity unsurity and the question is always present "DO I FEEL LUCKY with my guess and if i guess wrong and it nails a neighbor kid walking through the yard????????. In regard to the nurse shark incident.; In sure the prior owner of the knife probably attempted to identify the type of shark when he got home. Either way it sure sounds like a case of panic driven action. My first crossing with a nurse shark was on a night dive and i thought it looked a lot like a bull shark with the big rounded head. Its easy for imagination to take control of you when tensions rise. I have had to calm other divers on 2 occasions when starting to leave a ship hull and finding a nurse strolling the outside of the hull entrance. Most people would choose not to confront any sea life so long as they have a safer alternate way out. Unless you know why some diver stuck this shark, its hot really fair to blindly condemn the action, As people we often do dumb things. IE how many moms insist on driving the kids to school when its only a few blocks away so that a child napper won't get the kids ,like what happened 1000 miles away in a place called ____________ . Rationality almost always always takes over after the fact.

That is kinda ridiculous, unless you are color blind .. Red touches yellow - kill a fellow... red touches black - friend of jack.

Seriously how hard is that to understand.

i like snakes and dislike sharks. I've taken guns from kids and smashed them in front of them, after I witnessed them shooting a harmless snake.

Stabbing a shark in the top of a head in the centerline - trying to hit the brain - does not sound like a panic driven action - no more than killing a harmless snakes. Sounds like some dumbass fisherman, who was trying to get a hook back or trying to "teach the shark a lesson".

Also as an FYI, Nurse sharks are very easy to identify by looking at their tail.. the only have an upper lobe of the caudal fin.

That is kinda ridiculous, unless you are color blind .. Red touches yellow - kill a fellow... red touches black - friend of jack.

Seriously how hard is that to understand.

i like snakes and dislike sharks. I've taken guns from kids and smashed them in front of them, after I witnessed them shooting a harmless snake.

Stabbing a shark in the top of a head in the centerline - trying to hit the brain - does not sound like a panic driven action - no more than killing a harmless snakes. Sounds like some dumbass fisherman, who was trying to get a hook back or trying to "teach the shark a lesson".

Also as an FYI, Nurse sharks are very easy to identify by looking at their tail.. the only have an upper lobe of the caudal fin.

first you have to remember the rhyme when you need to remember it.

As far as your fisherman idea It makes more sense than a diver. a shark is pretty manuverable in its element. The point of my comment was that when human nature takes over and reacts in a survival mode common sense and rational behavior no longer exists. You cant rationalize irrational behavior. Good or bad right or wrong is not a factor it is survive or die. And that is always a personal view at the time of the event.

You are tagged as a marine scientist. you should know this stuff. I will guarentee you that anyone that is raised in snake country knows snakes front and back. but some one from corncob county midwest knows tractors and machinery, or some one from the silicone valley knows networking. And in the mid west a king snake looks like a rattle snake. Only with out a rattle. At least in the nomenclature of the locals that name the snakes.

\Some times yo have to look out side of the box yo live in to find a plausable explaination that you cant find in the box.

Last edited:
EDITORIAL – Why would anyone stab a nurse shark?
By Cayman Compass Editorial Board

March 6, 2017

Please, do not stab the sharks.

The recent video of a Cayman Brac scuba diving instructor removing a large kitchen knife from the head of a nurse shark has drawn thousands of views and sparked near-universal condemnation from commenters who, like us, are astonished that a human being could be so cruel to an innocent and graceful animal.

Due to their appearance, their rows of large and razor-sharp teeth and “negative publicity” from movies such as “Jaws,” sharks have a bad reputation in the minds of many people who think of the ocean predators as being cold-blooded killers. Strictly speaking, there’s some truth to that (especially if you’re a smaller fish!), but on balance, the proper attitude to have toward sharks is one of healthy respect, rather than fear.

However, in regard to the shark that was stabbed, we doubt very much that was a case of someone being scared and acting in self-defense. The more probable theory is that a local fisherman had caught the shark on a line or a net, and pulled it in close enough to try to “finish it off” with the kitchen knife.

While the diver who helped the shark showed bravery and compassion, whoever stabbed the shark was acting in the opposite manner. Sharks play a vital role in Cayman’s important reef ecosystem. Nurse sharks, in particular, are gentle creatures that dine on fish, shrimp, squid, shellfish and even coral, but as a rule do not bite humans unless they are stepped on or harassed.

Because of their appearance and demeanor, nurse sharks are popular attractions for tourists who come to the Cayman Islands in order to dive or snorkel. A 2015 study by the Department of Environment and Marine Conservation International estimated that “The value of having sharks on the reef is about US$54 million per year. By contrast, catching and killing sharks was worth only US$1.6 million per year.”

Apart from ecology, economics and common decency, there are legal reasons to abstain from killing sharks. Namely, the National Conservation Law protects all species of sharks under threat of a penalty of a $500,000 fine, four years’ imprisonment, or both.

Now, we will not take it upon ourselves to attempt to rehabilitate the image of sharks in this column – we will leave that task up to people like Dr. Guy Harvey and his Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation, which supports research and education efforts about sharks and other fish.

However, we will share with readers a handful of what we think are interesting facts about these amazing creatures. Did you know:

Sharks are some of the oldest vertebrates (i.e., having spines) that still exist on Earth

Sharks have been swimming in our planet’s oceans for more than 400 million years. That actually predates the current configuration of oceans and continents. For example, the Pangea supercontinent formed about 335 million years ago and began to break apart 175 million years ago

The evolution of sharks also predates the evolution of trees (360 million years ago) and dinosaurs (230 million years ago)

Sharks have survived five massive planet-level extinction events, including the impact of an asteroid or comet 66 million years ago that led to the extinction of dinosaurs

In the current time period, humans are responsible for killing at least 100 million sharks a year and perhaps as many as 270 million. Some 70 million or more annual shark deaths can be attributed to commercial fisherman seeking to satisfy demand in China for shark fin soup

Last year, there were some 100 documented shark attacks on humans. Eight were fatal.

EDITORIAL – Why would anyone stab a nurse shark? | Cayman Compass

Shark was as likely already mostly dead in a net. They can't take much. It's miraculous that this one survived death, twice now. 3 times if you count the removal of the knife. That's clearly a fishermans knife. Not just some yahoo that stabs things.

Bad idea to kill snakes. That's why New Mexico get those mice plagues every 10 years or so. Mice carry tons of nastiness. I try to spare as many snakes, possums, and skunks as possible to keep the mice and moles at bay.

Would be interesting to check with the stores in the Brac and see which ones had a local fisherman come in to buy a new knife recently. Not that many stores on the island selling big knives...

From today's Cayman Compass:
JakeFuller-170309-Nurse-Shark.jpg

@KathyV or others... any reports of sightings of the injured Nurse Shark lately?

@Dish, the message below was posted on the CBBR Facebook page on March 11 indicating that the shark was still around and recovering - great news!

"Gerri shot video of this fellow on snapper's reef. Head wound is healing! Amazing"

Back
Top Bottom