Ocular migraine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had something bizarre happen to me yesterday.
I am 58.
Yestrday afternoon, while driving and doing the same things I jave done thousands of times, nothing out of the usual, my vision got squiggly. This started at the edges of my vision in both eyes and grew to all of my vision. I stopped and after about 20 minutes it went away.
I did not have a headache or any other symptoms. From what I could find on the internet the symptoms match an ocular migraine. I have never had one before but My parents both had them.
I will see my opthamologist this Thursday afternoon about it.
I will be leaving on a cruise to go diving.
Is this something that would keep me from diving?

i had one once 12 years ago. probably too much msg for lunch. nothing since. enjoy your vacation.

Check for low blood pressure, I have lived with 90 over 60 and every so often get what kind of look like flashy whirlpools.

I've had these once or twice a year for about 7 years. Mine typically starts in one eye, goes across my visual field, ends up in the other eye. First time I thought I was having a stroke......until it went to the other eye. Mine seem to be stress related. I am not sure about it being bilateral at the same time. But, if it is an ocular migraine in my totally unprofessional opinion you have nothing to worry about.

I get them from time to time. It seems to have gotten better now that I get semi-regular eye checks and new glasses. My eye doc did not seem to think it was a huge deal.

Yes.. I do think it can be stress related.

In the present case, it is worth noting that changes in barometric pressure are a known cause of ocular migraine.

The several posters who mentioned that ocular migraine can be stress related, which is true, might find it interesting that relaxation after a period of stress or anxiety has also been identified as a precipitant.

Uncomplicated episodes of painless ocular migraine that pass fairly quickly should not be a contraindication to diving as long as the visual disturbance(s) do not adversely impact visual orientation, the reading of gauges, or the like.

Regards,

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I will have my pupils dilated and checked tomorrow afternoon. I had a regular exam a couple of weeks ago and I always opt for the camera shot of the interior of my eye. He found nothing wrong then but will recheck tomorrow.

...He found nothing wrong then but will recheck tomorrow.

Hi peperbelly,

Ocular migraines do not originate in the eyes, but rather in the visual cortex of the brain. As such, if this is the condition that you actually have examination of the interior of the eyes would be expected to be normal.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Mine are like zigzag pixels of refracted colors, similar to rainbow or light refracted through a crystal. My sister gets them too. First one is frightening but once you find out what they are, not so scary especially when an actual migraine headache doesn't follow. Often, mine are related to lack of sleep. Never stop me from diving or anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom