Fins: Mares X-stream vs. ScubaPro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Is one better for speed/control than the other?

Thanks,
Michael

I have a pair of Mares X-Streams, and used them for a short while, including a trip to Kauai. They were nice lightweight fins for travel, and had reasonably good forward propulsion. However they lack good sidewalls for more precision maneuvers and anti-silting fin kicks. Specifically, they don't do as well for helicopter turns or back kick as more traditional blade fins.

The Mares Excel+, which I have, and Avanti Quatro, which I used recently for cave diving in Mexico, are both more versatile fins. I often travel with my Excel+ fins for open water diving where I may encounter current. I think their propulsion is superior to the X-Streams. They are a bit longer than some other models, but I have a bag they fit in.

My preferred fins for cave or wreck diving are the Dive Rites. Back in early 2015, when I showed up in Thailand for a Full Cave course, all the instructors and most of the students at the shop had Dive Rites. They are good stiff fins with the right amount of 'snap' to their action. I can stop, back and turn on a dime with these in restricted spaces.

I'm also looking at these two options.

Any recommendation for vanilla diver like me :D

For scubapro, any thoughts on seawing nova gorilla vs seawing nova?

Sorry Michael, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I could start a new one if you like

Having used X-streams last year, I have to agree with @Aquavelvet about them - they are pretty good for forward movement with flutter kicks (quite easy to get a decent speed up). Slightly less so with frog kick. Found it quite difficult to perform back kicks or precise manoeuvres with them.

I think the softer "silicone" mid section forms a really nice channel when flutter kicking allowing a good amount of water to be pushed but this becomes the disadvantage for precision imho - the fin still tries to channel the water.

If you want precision, I would suggest a stiffer "traditional" type fin such as those Aquavelvet mentions.

What type of diving are you planning?
When my hubby and I started out (Nov 2016 so not long ago) I had the Seawing Nova's and my hubby the Mares X-Stream. As we are cold water divers with the drysuit and the boots we found it difficult to trim ourselves out without ankle weights (which neither or us liked) because our feet were so floaty (my tank and weights were so low they should have just fallen off). We have now switched to heavier fins (Hollis F1's for me and Turtles for my hubby) and we love them so much more! More control and easier to keep a static position for extended viewing of underwater creatures.

Seawing Nova's I found allowed me to rocket forward with flutter kick and frog kick was fine. Back finning was impossible for me (I still have difficulties with it but I did better as soon as I switched fins). However, I do know a guy who is super dexterous underwater with these fins and can get in and out of all nooks and crannies without disturbing anything. Swears by them and probably has 100's of dives with them.

Cheers!

Kineese

I love my Xstremes. Still having a little trouble with backing up. The majority of my finning is frog kick not flutter. It's important to know what you want out of a fin and why you've narrowed down to these choices.

I'm happy with my Xstremes because of my personal preference for diving slowly and of course, as a traveling diver, the fins fit perfectly in my suitcase and aren't causing a weight issue.

What's your style of diving? Do you want to make precision turns on a dime and keep up with whales sharks? If so, you'll probably want a different fin.

Last edited:
why did you narrow down to these two fins?

Not really a good reason in particular. A dive buddy rented the scubapros novas and I could barely keep up with him kicking normally, he was pretty impressed by them. As for the mares X-streams they seemed fairly similar and are going for $70 at scubastore.com which seemed like a good deal. Sounds like these two fins mainly focus on forward propulsion.

I mainly shore dive in Monterey which has a fair amount of swell. I'll do decently long swims trudging through kelp and usually can feel some cramping starting on the swim in after the second dive . Some extra forward propulsion would be nice.

I also do underwater photography/videography. Better control and steering to get into position for a shot would be really desirable. These fins don't seem to provide that.

Is there a style of fins that would be a good balance for both of these?

I've got the Seawing Nova's and like them alot. Light weight which is nice imho.

Can you goto a dive shop and test/rent fins to try out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom