Sea Sickness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njmorrell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Having read the thread about the Jupiter death on Thanksgiving I have the following question.

Should we (boat captains, divemasters, instructors or other divers) be giving the advice 'get in the water you will feel better' to sea-sick divers?

They can. Not like they forced them in.

My wife gets sea sick/ motion sick pretty bad. Even with medicine she still gets ill and she jumps in as soon as the boat stops which usually settles her stomach pretty well. She's fine after a few minutes in the water and climbs back in long enough to put her gear together and put it on then she's back in the water. But that being said she is hanging onto a line off the stern by the ladder so she stays with 5-10 feet of the boat and can easily pull back up to the ladder and climb on once she's feel better.

I'd suggest it to someone that feels sick but I also wouldn't throw them in if they didn't take my advice.

I commented in that thread and I'll comment here again. I get quite seasick. I usually take Gravol regardless of how I'm feeling, just to be careful. It says to take 2, but I usually take 3 or even 4 sometimes. The problem is it makes me really drowsy (the non-drowsy stuff doesn't work well IMO).

I've had times where I felt sick on the boat then felt fine 5 minutes after getting in the water. I've had times where I've felt fine on the boat, then completely nauseous under water. I don't think there's anything wrong with suggesting getting in the water. As the above post mentions, you're not forcing them to do anything, but note that it's not always going to help.

Maybe there should be some further training on how to vomit under water. I've panicked before, because I felt like I was seconds away from puking while diving.

I have been known to chum over the side of the boat on occasion. But I just haven't been brave enough to get into the water while feeling that way. Just something about having to heave while being in the water doesn't appeal to me.

Oh god, there's no way I'm going past 10 feet if I don't feel good. I know it's possible to puke under water, but I'm not going to risk it. Plus, if I already feel sick and it doesn't subside in shallow water, then the dive isn't worth it since I know I'll just feel crappy.

I've been sick underwater a number of times. The first time was a bit scary, but I remembered NOT to take the reg out of my mouth. Throwing up in your regulator isn't hard to do. Throw up and then hit the purge button and everything will come out of the reg (and many little fishes will come to feed). Take a breath from your reg and you'll be fine. If you have to throw up again, just follow the same instructions.

I've been sick underwater a number of times. The first time was a bit scary, but I remembered NOT to take the reg out of my mouth. Throwing up in your regulator isn't hard to do. Throw up and then hit the purge button and everything will come out of the reg (and many little fishes will come to feed). Take a breath from your reg and you'll be fine. If you have to throw up again, just follow the same instructions.

Thanks for the tips!

I did feel better after seasickness by getting to the water a few times. It works like a charm for me.

It has worked for me and I do suggest it to seasick divers, although I do emphasize it MAY make you feel better and to end the dive if don't feel better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom