British teen dead - Wakatobi, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In reality and statistically, you have a much better chance of having your child injured in an auto accident. Do not pass up this opportunity to do something really neat with your son out of fear of what could happen.

Statistical likelihood only applies to random events. From the perspective of an individual, an accident rarely strikes randomly. There are many things that an individual can do to have a better than average chance of surviving both driving and diving. A large number of those things involve training.

For diving, while anybody can probably panic given the right circumstances, some people are clearly more prone to panic than others. Those people require more training than others. For some, they will never feel comfortable enough handling problems underwater to be able to dive safely.

Sure is.

I would like to know why beginner divers panic & do such drastic move against what they have been thought not to do in the OW class. If anyone who has gone through such situation & survived, please share your story here.

I have not gone through a situation anywhere near what that person went through in that video, but I do ten to panic sometimes (I still consider myself a new diver). I think it's due to my claustrophobia. Honestly, especially while getting certified, every second of every dive my brain was thinking "stay calm, you're fine, don't panic, everything's okay". It was constant and really took the fun out of it, but I kept telling my self that I would become more comfortable and this would go away. All the classroom and pool training in the world won't get someone over their claustrophobia and when you start to panic, it takes a lot to keep it in check and follow taught procedures. Imagine getting your drivers licence, but then going down a hill on the highway at 100mph when all of a sudden you lose your breaks...that's what it feels like.

There was one instance, I think it was my 5th dive or so after certification, when I was in Boracay and had a mild attack. We were at around 40 feet, swimming along in a line. I was constantly checking up to see where the surface was, just because it made me feel more secure and comfortable. All of a sudden I felt like I wasn't getting any more air. I told myself there was no way my tank was empty, but still I felt like nothing was coming out so I stared up at the surface ready to bolt. I never really figured out if it was just me panicking, but afterwards they thought that looking up while swimming, may have made it difficult to for the air to pass through and just made it feel difficult to breathe.

Anyways, my finger was on my BCD ready to inflate and bolt to the surface. My DM saw me and came over and did a VERY good job of calming me, making his air available and just making hand signals to make sure I was okay. I wish I could remember his name (he was a local Filipino guy) so I could give him kudos.

In open water, it has to be an instructor.

DM/AI only in the water with no instructor in sight!! It happens so often that I was led to believe that this was all OK by PADI's standards and the DM/AI was trained to do so in PADI's DM/AI course standards.

DM/AI only in the water with no instructor in sight!! It happens so often that I was led to believe that this was all OK by PADI's standards and the DM/AI was trained to do so in PADI's DM/AI course standards.
A DM with special training can conduct a DSD in the pool only. If there is to be an open water component (which is optional), then the entire course, not just the OW portion, must be conducted by an instructor. This was just emphasized in the current training bulletin.

A DM with special training can conduct a DSD in the pool only. If there is to be an open water component (which is optional), then the entire course, not just the OW portion, must be conducted by an instructor. This was just emphasized in the current training bulletin.

I understand, but these people are doing all training in sea from shore, no pool work. They advertise their program on their page on Facebook with the DM/AI in the pictures with his "students."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom