Differences in tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kodad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of Faber HP 100 steel tanks. With an online discount I can pick them up new for $279 each. Seems like a pretty good deal.

My question is about the choice of tank valves. I use a Dive Rite XT regulator that has a DIN valve. The choice on the website states:

White Cylinder: Faber DIN/K Convertible Valve
Metal Grey Cylinder: XS-Scuba Conversable Pro Valve

I have no color preference. Is there a significant difference between the two valves? What would you recommend and why?

so the white cylinders have been discontinued from what I understand and replaced with the grey ones, so they're likely going to be new old stock which means you should validate the hydro date before you buy them. If they are old hydro, they should give you a further discount

After that the valves are likely identical valves. There are only so many manufacturers of scuba valves and I would imagine that Faber/Blue Steel and XS are using the same valve supplier.

What I would recommend is that if you have any inclination towards sidemount or doubles, that you go ahead and ask the supplier for l/r manifold valves.

Make sure you check shipping costs and weigh that against sales tax and ask your LDS if they're a dealer if they price match

Thank you for the feedback.
This price is for an in-store pickup in Jacksonville, but must be purchased online (no tax). I'll be driving through there next week so picking up is no extra cost to me. I try to give my LDS as much business as I can, but on high dollar items it's hard for them to come close. (They sell the gray tanks for $389.99, and I could talk my way into a 10-15% discount which would only get me to around $330 at best).

Thermo valves have had some detractors because they are a "quick" opening valve. Meaning that they are a little hard to open with slow opening. This can be an issue if you are using high concentrations of Oxygen.

From what I hear, all scuba valves are considered fast-opening. Some manufacturers choose to CYA and declare their valves as good up to 40% premixed O2 only, even though they are O2 cleaned from the factory. I just had that conversation this week with a shop where I bought some new tanks, and I've been told that if I want to have 100% O2 stickers on my tanks without having my newly purchased valves O2 cleaned, then the Blue Steel valves are the way to go.

If a convertible model is acceptable, the 200 Bar Genesis Pro Din/Yoke or the Blue Steel valves are what I recommend today. Genesis is the only company I've worked with that ships the valve with paperwork stating the valve is O2 cleaned (and suitable for 100% O2) from the factory - so they are my first recommendation. Thermo and XS Scuba are now shipping with paperwork disclaiming their products are acceptable with O2 concentrations greater than 40%, which tells me they're attempting to limit liability for any accidents or incidents where higher O2 concentrations are involved. Further, Genesis' factory service/inspection/maintenance paperwork that ships with the values do not "require" a rebuild every five years at hydro. Thermo and Sherwood Maintenance Guides require annual inspection and disassembly/rebuild at five-year intervals (usually performed when the cylinder is hydro'd). I don't remember seeing any paperwork with my Blue Steel valves that say they are O2 cleaned, nor as a dealer and repair tech have I been able to get any maintenance guide for the Blue Steel valves that outlines any annual or five-year procedures. They are great valves, though. Very robust design. As for the Genesis Pro, only gripe I have is that the rebuild kit is 2X the cost of any other manufacturer because the factory kit includes the complete bonnet & stem assembly, along with the HP seat and O-rings (@ $20-$30). Just my recommendations as a LDS owner/operator & repair tech - where liability & reliability are our biggest concerns.

If I am not mistaken, the white one has a conventional valve, and the gray has the red=closed green=open pro valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom