Oceanic BUD/Atom/GEO O ring size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcushall: The person that sells the kit for the Atom (and alike) is on ebay under the trade name of Battastic. Is out in the West Coast and is very reliable. I run a dive computer maintenance shop for several years when I lived overseas. Every kit I purchased from him (for instance the Suunto D9, another example of Oring I was only able to get through him) was of the exact dimensions. As per waterproofing the computer after replacing the battery, that was a standard procedure I performed in every job before returning the computer to the owner. The test dive remains in the computer LOG (date, depth and dive time) as evidence of actual waterproofing. I do have a couple of very ingenious swiss chambers designed specifically to run these tests in real water without jeopardizing the integrity of the watch or computer. They are expensive little toys though. I am presently in the process of opening the same shop to offer this services in Fort Lauderdale, which is where I live now. If you want me to change your batteries or waterproof your computers contact me at: divewatchdoctor@gmail.com

Thanks.. I have no problem replacing the battery, I was just curious how it would be possible to depth test the computer without risking flooding it if it fails.

If all goes well, of course, the computer will be fine, and it's better to find out about the failure before relying on the computer, but still it would be bad if things failed.

I did see a guy on you-tube demonstrate a pickle-jar technique with a pop-up lid to perform a decent pressure test. Put the computer into the jar, fill it up as much as possible (surface tension is your friend here), and screw on the lid. Then, by applying pressure through the pop-up lid, he was able to get 10M or more of depth (according to the computer's depth indication. Of course, this still floods the computer in the case of a failure, but it's a nice simple practically cost free test.

Marcushall: The person that sells the kit for the Atom (and alike) is on ebay under the trade name of Battastic./QUOTE]

Thanks! I did contact him and purchased 5 o-rings for the Atom 3.0 computer. They arrived today and measure out to be 1.2mm CS for sure, and the ID seems to measure out to 27mm. This would make sense since the inside diameter of o-ring groove measures to be 27.5mm. That's just a tiny bit of stretch.

However, I cannot find any 1.2 x 27mm o-ring source, so Battastic has found some really special supplier somewhere.

I did see various plans for using a water filter for pressure testing. I had seen that it is not recommended to test dive computers under air, but that does seem to be the norm, perhaps it was a problem with some older dive computers.. It seems to be the standard to pressurize it with air, then dunk it into the water, then release pressure. If air bubbles around the computer seal, then it has a problem. This way, the computer does not flood with water, but air if there is a problem with the seal.

I'm going to try this with flashlights and camera housings, and probably give it a go with my computer, if I see enough other references to testing with air pressure.

If all seems well, I may test with a 1.2mm x 26mm o-ring that *is* readily available. Just to see if the little bit more stretch is an issue. I suspect that it isn't...

Hello guys.
Recently I bought a o'ring and replacement battery at ebay and took it to several specialized stores tryng to identity the size and thickness.
Neither stores could identify the o'ring. Apparently Oceanic uses custem sized o'rings for Geo 2.0.
Anyone had success identifyng the o'ring?

I found one supplier for this size (Nitrile 70 1.2x27mm O-rings), but they only sell min 100 @$1.25 and I will never in my life will be able to use it so I end up buying it on E-bay

http://www.globaloring.com

I found a relatively cheap source for these, but minimum order of 100 and a big price break at 250:

1.2X27.5 BUNA-N ORING
Tolerance: ±0.07 X ±0.32
70A BLK
QTY $/EA
100 $1.21
250 $0.52
500 $0.28
1,000 $0.19

1.2X27.5 FKM ORING
Tolerance: ±0.07 X ±0.32
QTY $/EA
75A BLK
100 $1.21
250 $0.65
500 $0.51
1,000 $0.41

I would be inclined to go with viton because of the longer shelf life, but I'm hardly an expert on o-rings. Can also be ordered in 90 instead of 70/75.

If you're interested in going in on an order, please email me at: oceanic.atom.geo.orings@gmail.com

best,
jim

Last edited:
Don´t know about the Atom transmitter, but Oceanic transmitters (for the Geo and OC1) both use a B016 O-ring. Easy to get since it´s an ASTM standard size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom