Can open circuit technical divers go down to 400+ feet or is a CCR Rebreather required?

Can open circuit technical divers go down to 400+ feet or is a CCR Rebreather required?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, the financial benefit of a RB is 'meh' at best. The real draw is the ease of logistics.

$10K RB, plus ~$3-5k for training, sorb, cells if you have them, maintenance of the unit. It ain't cheap and it won't pay for itself unless you're really goin' hard with the deep stuff.

This guy is asking too many suspect questions. I would not answer any of them but direct him to do the training. For someone who possibly is not even open water OC certified, why those questions? Very few dive to those depths and after years of training and diving.

claiming wanting to learn as much as possible on a forum BEFORE taking a course is in my mind a bunch of BS!! His real motives are unclear...

Deciding in advance and calling his motives BS is beyound lame, at least give him benefit of doubt.

Deciding in advance and calling his motives BS is beyound lame, at least give him benefit of doubt.
AJ, you obviously disagree as you a liberally responding to his posts.
I hope you see the hypocrisy in your statement though: criticizing me for criticizing and questioning his motives.

This guy is asking too many suspect questions. I would not answer any of them but direct him to do the training.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions on SB. That is part of what SB is all about. The 'direct him to training' approach does not really answer his question, but you are welcome to offer that response. Others may choose to more directly answer his questions. Perhaps (?probably) he has no interest in doing such dives, and is merely asking in an attempt to better understand events about which he has read.
For someone who possibly is not even open water OC certified, why those questions?
I may be going far out on a limb here, but 'curiosity' comes to mind.
claiming wanting to learn as much as possible on a forum BEFORE taking a course is in my mind a bunch of BS!!
Why?
His real motives are unclear...
Why do his 'real motives' have to be anything other than what he states. Perhaps, his motives are exactly what they appear to be at face value. - the poster is curious and interested to learn. If you suspect his motives and choose not to reply, that is your decision, and your privilege. If others choose to reply and offer information, that, too, is their decision and their privilege.

If a 10 year old asks a question about how a rocket is built, would you tell him to wait until he takes a university physics course? Would you suspect that he is going to build one? Or, might it be possible that he is reading an historical account of the US space program, possibly the Challenger incident, and wants to learn more.

Thank goodness, we have curious people who want to learn more. Yes, the rare one may have nefarious motives. But, as a general rule, I believe we should do all we can to encourage curiosity, exploration, research, etc.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions on SB. That is part of what SB is all about. The 'direct him to training' approach does not really answer his question, but you are welcome to offer that response. Others may choose to more directly answer his questions. Perhaps (?probably) he has no interest in doing such dives, and is merely asking in an attempt to better understand events about which he has read. I may be going far out on a limb here, but 'curiosity' comes to mind.Why? Why do his 'real motives' have to be anything other than what he states. Perhaps, his motives are exactly what they appear to be at face value. - the poster is curious and interested to learn. If you suspect his motives and choose not to reply, that is your decision, and your privilege. If others choose to reply and offer information, that, too, is their decision and their privilege.

If a 10 year old asks a question about how a rocket is built, would you tell him to wait until he takes a university physics course? Would you suspect that he is going to build one? Or, might it be possible that he is reading an historical account of the US space program, possibly the Challenger incident, and wants to learn more.

Thank goodness, we have curious people who want to learn more. Yes, the rare one may have nefarious motives. But, as a general rule, I believe we should do all we can to encourage curiosity, exploration, research, etc.

Feel free to do what you like and say, as I do the same! Then again....there are always the self-righteous ones, which has little to do with wisdom. If this board is for 10 year olds, I am on the wrong board.

Last edited:
claiming wanting to learn as much as possible on a forum BEFORE taking a course is in my mind a bunch of BS!! His real motives are unclear...

I know when I was considering my first regulator purchase a few years ago I posted many times on the subject. Same with a dive computer, and same with tanks. If I were considering taking an expensive class (it's over $1k for the class, based on what I found with the last instructor I talked to) - I would certainly be papering online forums before sinking a ton of dough into it. In fact, I did that very thing a year or so ago and decided RB wasn't right for me at that point in my diving. Maybe someday.

If I'd spent all that money on the class only to decide I didn't want to buy an RB, I'd have been disappointed with myself.

Although, it's certainly far from clear that this poll is a pre-purchase information gathering device...

I know when I was considering my first regulator purchase a few years ago I posted many times on the subject. Same with a dive computer, and same with tanks. If I were considering taking an expensive class (it's over $1k for the class, based on what I found with the last instructor I talked to) - I would certainly be papering online forums before sinking a ton of dough into it. In fact, I did that very thing a year or so ago and decided RB wasn't right for me at that point in my diving. Maybe someday.

If I'd spent all that money on the class only to decide I didn't want to buy an RB, I'd have been disappointed with myself.

Although, it's certainly far from clear that this poll is a pre-purchase information gathering device...

LOL, I totally agree :)

Like others have said you can go down on oc to 400+. It's going to be expensive even when you are mixing your own gas.

It's also going to be a logistical challenge - you might want to bring a safety diver to meet you half way at depth to trade out empty tanks for deco tanks on the way up - otherwise all that empty tank buoyancy is going to start adding up (reduce clutter by having the safety take anything that can't be used at the higher depths (due to possibly being a hypoxic travel mix that you didn't use all the way - it's now useless and you don't need it) during deco).

Your deco is also going to be long .... ....really really long. Might want to bring a book or something to read. Might also want to bring something to eat.

You might also want to work your way up to this point by doing many hundreds of dives and then work your way down. One does not simply dive to 400+ without doing many 200-300ft dives first.

Good luck.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom