Shark attacks diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pernambuco state, which the archipelago belongs to, has seen 60 shark attacks since 1992, including 24 deadly ones, according to Brazil’s Shark Attack Monitoring Center.
Hammerhead sharks were the species that attacked most frequently.

Sorry to hear he got his forearm torn off. They don't know the species yet, and perhaps never will, but this blurb from the article intrigued me. I was under the impression hammerhead attacks were really rare. I wonder why they'd dominate the numbers at that location?

Richard.

Sorry to hear he got his forearm torn off. They don't know the species yet, and perhaps never will, but this blurb from the article intrigued me. I was under the impression hammerhead attacks were really rare. I wonder why they'd dominate the numbers at that location?

Richard.
Yeah I was going to post the same thing. I thought hammerheads rarely if ever were a species that were responsible for bites. Wonder what hammerhead species they have in those waters. My first speculation with absolutely no evidence to back it up was that there was a watch or jewelry involved.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Likely more to the story than being reported or anyone may ever know. More likely an illegal feeding, spear fishing or something else involved and more than likely a hammerhead wasn't the culprit.

Max, considering the vast legions of people entering the water, it's amazing how few deaths & serious injuries known to be from shark attack there are.

Consider this; a shark that could take his forearm off could have killed them; stuck around & eaten more. So, why didn't it? If it knowingly attacked an adult human, for purposes of feeding on it, why would it take on the risks of attacking such a relatively large, alien creature of unknown capability, then 'settle' for such a small piece of food?

Richard.

Consider this; a shark that could take his forearm off could have killed them; stuck around & eaten more. So, why didn't it? If it knowingly attacked an adult human, for purposes of feeding on it, why would it take on the risks of attacking such a relatively large, alien creature of unknown capability, then 'settle' for such a small piece of food?
Richard.

I hope no sharks are reading this....

Whew... although other fatal attacks have occurred in that Brazilian state, this was the first at Fernando de Noronha. I can keep it on my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom