Are 100cu/ft AL tanks common in rental shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a very new diver and I'm trying to figure out solutions to a few issues I'm encountering.
One issue is I use a lot of air. I think the main reason for this is I'm a bigger guy with a more athletic build. My wife is rather petite and compared to me she uses very little air, so it seems like we'll be limited in our dives to my tank pressure.

My question is this, are AL 100 tanks common in dive shops? I can carry the extra weight without issue, I'm just curious if many shops have them or are they very rare to see in rec diving? The notion of having 20% more air sounds very good to me!

thanks.

The shop I work at has one but we have a bunch of HP steel 100s and 120s which in my opinion are better tanks anyway
As Scared Silly said HP steel tanks are better tanks and they have better weight characteristics if you're looking to buy a tank.

New divers tend to be hovers so you are in good company. Over time most divers learn to relax and breath easier. So give yourself some time.

Are you looking to buy a cylinder or wondering about renting? AL100 are somewhat common privately but not so much as rentals. Some shops certainly will have them but I would not expect them.

If are looking to buy a cylinder the HP100 is the de-facto steel cylinder. I'd buy one of those over an AL100. Your wife might like the HP80.

Thanks scared silly, I'm not looking to buy as I don't see myself doing much local diving, hopefully i'll be able to get 10+ caribbean dives in a year. With my experience level I see my wife and I doing mostly guided dives with a DM as we travel. I'm planning on reaching out to the dive shops we'll be using but I was just curious if the AL 100 tanks are common at all (especially in the caribbean).

If I were to use a 100 cu/ft tank how would I expect my weighting to change? Steel and AL?

AL100 are not common in the Caribbean. Many shops have 1 or 2 AL100 but they end up being closer to 90's as they are short filled to 3000psi not 3300psi. Check with your operator first and reserve them if you want them.

AL100 add 1#, steels minus 3-5# depending on the tank.

Just get your wife an AL 60

Not directly answering your question, but somewhat related. I recently purchased a steel HP 133 for similar reasons you're looking at AL 100: worried about being the "weak link" on local dives, limited selection of Nitrox tanks and even more limited selection of DIN valves (I use Nitrox and have DIN regulator.) All combined, it made a lot of sense to get my own tank.

As for the size, 133 is the first size where they increase diameter and decrease length, so it's just an inch or so longer and equally fatter than an AL 80. Due to increase in diameter, it's quite a bit shorter than the HP 120. Also, if it gets filled to 3,000 psi it still holds quite a bit of air. Even a "hot fill" on boats that results in cold pressure of around 2700 psi gives you over 100 cu. ft. with HP 133.

From my rental experience, anything but AL 80 yoke as a rental is a gamble.

I'm a very new diver and I'm trying to figure out solutions to a few issues I'm encountering.
One issue is I use a lot of air. I think the main reason for this is I'm a bigger guy with a more athletic build. My wife is rather petite and compared to me she uses very little air, so it seems like we'll be limited in our dives to my tank pressure.

My question is this, are AL 100 tanks common in dive shops? I can carry the extra weight without issue, I'm just curious if many shops have them or are they very rare to see in rec diving? The notion of having 20% more air sounds very good to me!

thanks.

So as you have read AL100s are not that common in rental fleets. AL80s are the norm. So if you cannot carry more air here are a couple of tips to consume less.

1) Ensure that you are properly weighted. Proper buoyance will help reduce your air consumption. Many new divers are diving with too much weight. I am sorry to say but too many instructors overweight their students 'cause they think it is easier to train a new diver to just add air to their BCD than to work with them in dialing in their weight needed for good buoyance. If you are diving with a resort try and find a Divemaster willing to work with you to determine how much weight you truly need. You can start with the "Weight Check" drill you learned in your Open Water dive class; let all you air out of your BCD, take a "normal" breath, float at eye level, exhale - descend, inhale ascend. If you sink with a normal breath you most likely are over weighted. After the weight check (this is JUST A STARTING POINT) when you have 500 PSI at the end of the dive you should be able to hold a hover at 15' with little to no air in your BCD. If you still have a lot of air in the BCD to maintain a hover...look at shedding some weight.

2) Swim slowly and minimize unnecessary hand movements. Swimming fast and using a lot of hand actions will increase your air metabolism...thus you will use more air. Slow it down and see the scenery.

3) Stream line your self. I hope you did not buy all of the really cool little toys they sell in the dive shop (I know I did and I now have boxes of them that I don't use any more). Keep your SPG close to your body so it reduces drag. Work on diving in a smooth, slipstream style. By reducing drag you will reduce your efforts needed to propel yourself.

4) I too use to be a really bad air hog. I too thought I needed a larger tank 100 or larger to maintain my dive time with my daughter. I learned a great tip from a former navy diver. I sat watching TV with my mask and snorkel on. First I lasted about 20 minutes, but as I learned to relax I soon was up to watching full length movies with my mask on breathing thru my snorkel. It sounds funny, looks weird but holy cow did my SAC drop nearly in half. Where I use to get about 30 minutes out of an AL80 at 80' I nearly get an hour out of an AL63 now (I am still a big guy).

5) Just get out there and dive, dive, dive. The more you dive the better everything will get for you.

Have fun!!!

~Oldbear~
:)

noj,
I spend quite a bit of time diving in the Keys and Caribbean. I don't know that I have ever seen an AL 100 in rental. AL 80 is the norm, but most shops have Al 63 or even AL 50's in rental. Renting a smaller tank for your wife might be a solution until you get your air usage under control. She would probably appreciate the smaller length and weight.

Great advice.. You are too fat.. so have your wife go on a diet..

If you wife uses much less air than you, you can try using her octopus for a few minutes in the beginning of the dive. You don't want to use up her reserves, but the idea that your wife should take less air because you ... might need it in an emergency doesn't make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom