Cuba - where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if there's any wall diving in Cuba? Given its proximity to the Cayman trench, I would imagine there is.

unfortunately no ... the only "wall" dives available would be off Santiago de Cuba, and there's no coral formations there.

most of Cuba's diving is shallow (60 feet or so?) both in the north and the south, which allows for awesome dive times

there are some nice drops in the Isle of Youth (old Isle of Pines) but nothing like the Caymans.

I dove at Playa Maria la Gorda several years ago. The diving was good. It's the Caribbean sea with coral reefs and access to the trench. The hotel was a 2 1/2 star, with few amenities. Food was very limited. There's a wilderness jungle preserve nearby and some of the area was a Unesco preserve. The dive center was obtaining a nitrox fill station as we were leaving. It was a very remote location. It's wasn't favored by North Americans; it was all Europeans. You may want a more recent reference, but that's how it was when I was there.

Good day everyone. So I see for recommended places to dive on this thread
Isle of Youth
Playa Maria la Gorda (Remote)
Cayo Santa Maria
But is it diving in Cuba spectacular, good or just so so? I would like to plan a trip for next year but would only like to go if the diving is at least great.
Also if there is very good diving then where do you recommend to stay? What town? There are sites with dive ops but I value the opinions of you all here at Scubaboard as you dive a lot in and all over the world.
I saw some offerings in Airbnb but how far they are from good sites I do not know.
Any help in planning a trip for Feb 2016 would be awesome.
Gracias
Chrisse

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 06:11 AM ----------

And one more question---Is Feb a good time to go diving in Cuba? Better another time?

I run a liveaboard to Cuba from Key West. The wall diving on the North side of the island is the best of anywhere I've dived in the Caribbean. If you look on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MV-Spree-41830547733/?ref=hl at the photo album Cuba v1.0, you will get an idea of what it is about. The fish have not seen divers, the coral is an amazing 45% cover, and the travel is legal.

The trip is not cheap, but for the folks saying that there is no wall diving in Cuba, they haven't dived all of Cuba. They only go where the tourists go....

I dove off Playa Maria la Gorda on the Caribbean side seven years ago. There is wall diving there. There weren't a great number of tourists. I met only Europeans there; it's a popular destination for them. It's also a less travelled area and includes Unesco protected marine and land areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom