Fog science

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richboslice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an old Seadive mask I bought at a pawn shop. I use antifog and it almost never fogs. I have bought several masks for family members and they all fog, even with the antifog. There must be a difference in the materials or something. Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Any new mask lenses should be cleaned thoroughly, especially the interior to remove the rest of the silicone grease that was used during manufacture. This grease is the origin of the constant fogging.
To clean the glasses you can use any dish detergent or cleaner that does not scratch them.

Thank you. I have cleaned them but I will do so again. I usually run them with my fingers until they squeek.

I personally scrub my new masks with toothpaste(non gel). It has always worked well for me. Some do the lighter trick, but I am afraid of melting/setting my new mask on fire.

Try this, pay particular attention to testing your cleaning work.

Pete

clean it with toothpaste after purchase and baby shampoo for anti-fog

I'm with OP, I want to know about some masks. I have one in particular that has the best fit and field of view of any mask I've tried, but the thing fogs like there's no tomorrow! This is not my first rodeo with masks, and I've owned a number of them and had no fogging issues that the proper cleaning couldn't cure. I have tried every cleaning trick in the book and then some with no avail. There has to be something about the glass. My buddy who owns the same mask, just re-branded for another company, has the exact same experience as I do. The only way to keep it sorta fog free is to put defog on thick, then do just enough of a rinse to get it wet but not clear it all away. Stings like crazy if I have to flood and clear because of the residual defog. And even with THAT it will without fail start to fog about 40 minutes into the dive. WHY!?

Thank you. Very helpful

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 02:06 AM ----------

It has to be something about the finish at a microscopic level. I wonder if you took a dremel with a polishing wheel and hit a small spot. Then see if it fogs

I have 100% success with taking a lighter to my masks and using spit as a defogger. I've never melted a mask or contracted an eye infection. I dive year round in a four season country with fairly extreme temperature differences.

I've never tried flame but I bet it works. It takes me about an hour with fairly abrasive cleaners to make my masks so they don't fog. I use Comet and it doesn't bother the glass but if you have a coating it would. If you wonder if you are done just rinse it well with cold water and then breath on the glass. if it fogs you are not done. When it doesn't fog it won't fog underwater either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom