New California soon to be diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frenimy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone. I'm a new soon to be diver in central California. I have completed my pool sessions and in September I will finish my open water dives in Hawaii.

Why not do your open water dives in Monterey? Get a first hand experience of local diving and then not have to waste any precious vacation dives on certification!

Not to mention it is a great answer to give when a dive op asks you where you were certified!

What Keith M. said!

You'll be a MUCH better diver if you get certified here. Plus, you'll actually dive here. The vast majority of locals who get certified on warm water trips NEVER dive here (too intimidated) and, thus, don't dive enough ever to get good.

Plus, why waste your Hawaii dives doing skills and learning to dive? Wouldn't you rather actually be diving and exploring on your vacation?

(Disclosure: I got certified in Monterey in advance of a trip to Hawaii. I took my Advanced Open Water course there and upon hearing where I'd just gotten certified, my AOW instructor said "Oh, you're already a better diver than those guys over there with a hundred dives." I protested, "no you don't understand." She countered with "No, you don't understand." Turns out she was right. In Hawaii I was a buoyancy god. Back home, I still had lots to learn.)

Welcome to SB

Cal diving is some of my favorite!

Ray

Welcome! I'm a NorCal person who also did my cert dives in Hawaii. My Hawaii experience gave me the confidence I needed to take on California diving. Honestly, I would have sworn off diving if my first experiences had been in Monterey conditions. My first 2 dives in Monterey were miserable, but after 10 more dives in Hawaii, I felt so much more calm & confident. Now I love diving Point Lobos :) The most important thing to remember is that you're going to need to hire a local guide/instructor if you transition from warm to cold water. Now I'm focusing on my cold water skills, and I'm sure this will make my next Hawaii dive trip feel like a piece of cake.

Thanks for the warm greetings. I will be continuing my diving in California. Already bought my kit and getting a wetsuit soon. I at some point would like to dive Monterey but will most likely be diving Catalina and boat dives along SoCal. I am in no way intimidated by our lovely coastal waters. I'm super excited and will more than likely be getting my advanced certification soon as well.

howdy and welcome from spoiled warm water diver in south Florida.....

Back
Top Bottom