5mm full or 3+3mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
These days I have started going on intensive dive trips involving 35 to 40 dives over 2 weeks or so. Where the water temperature is 'borderline' ie 26*C to 27*C, I have started to feel the cold midway through the trip.

Under such circumstances, I wonder which wetsuit is better - a 5mm full suit or 3 mm full + 3mm shorty combo? I find the latter easier to don.

I use both configurations. That said, you say the second is easier for you to don...I would probably use that in this case, simply for ease of use, I don't like things to harder then they need to be. My wife dives a 3mm full with a 3m shorty over it in similar temperatures and is fine as well. I have dove two 3mm shortys (one under the other) in the same conditions with a "beanie" type neoprene hat and been ok too.

I use both configurations. That said, you say the second is easier for you to don...I would probably use that in this case, simply for ease of use, I don't like things to harder then they need to be. My wife dives a 3mm full with a 3m shorty over it in similar temperatures and is fine as well. I have dove two 3mm shortys (one under the other) in the same conditions with a "beanie" type neoprene hat and been ok too.

The two separate pieces will also leaves you options when the temp climb to 28, 29. or 30 where the 5mm would be too much.

+1 awap

As the days of the trip start to have me feeling more cold, I begin adding pieces. I stsrt with a beanie, soon add a chillguard under my suit, I'm even known to wear a kerchief around my neck . . .and so on and so on.

If you're more comfy with your 3 and 3 combo, that's the way I think you should go. (And add a hood, etc. As and if necessary )

I would go with layers. I use 2 polyolefin fullsuits a 3mm vest, and a 3mm neoprene fullsuit with hood and gloves and am comfortable in 12°C (about 53°F). As the water warms I can go with fewer layers. If I get a chill on later dives I can add.

Another benifit is that that each polyolefin layer adds about 2 mm of insulation with no added buoyancy. That translates to way less lead.

I would go with layers. I use 2 polyolefin fullsuits a 3mm vest, and a 3mm neoprene fullsuit with hood and gloves and am comfortable in 12°C (about 53°F). As the water warms I can go with fewer layers. If I get a chill on later dives I can add.

Another benifit is that that each polyolefin layer adds about 2 mm of insulation with no added buoyancy. That translates to way less lead.

One thing I forgot to say. Because of all the different possible configurations I had to take time with a 500 psi reference tank and do weight checks on all the configurations that I would be using. Then all I need to do is one weight check first dive of the season and a spreadsheet does all the adjustments if weighting has changed over the winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom