Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: does anyone have a good source of information for Truk news and recovery efforts? I'm headed there in early June and would like to know what I should expect. I've been following this thread, but the news content is low.
In addition to keeping in touch with your travel agent or Chuuk Lagoon Dive Operator, Hotel or Liveaboard and the US State Dept Travel Advisories/Warnings, and Centers for Disease Control Worldwide Advisories/Warnings, try these facebook resources and "cold call" them for any additional inside information; or jot down contact numbers (especially Emergency After Hours Assistance number for the US Embassy in Kolonia Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia: + (691) 920-2369):

https://www.facebook.com/usembassykolonia
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Truk-Stop-Hotel-Truk-Lagoon-Dive-Center/172030899404?ref=ts&fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/533594790071028/

---------- Post added April 26th, 2015 at 09:10 PM ----------

Here's another idea for potential information on civil government and infrastructure status post Typhoon Maysak: Call the FSM Embassy to the US in Washington DC. . . or the FSM Consulate in Hawaii or the US Territory of Guam.

Last edited:
Heading to Truk in 5 days for 14 days of diving. Will provide an update, but our group hanse significant concerns and is looking forward to a great time.

I should read what I write before I post it - I meant to say we have no significant concerns and are looking forward to a great time.

I should read what I write before I post it - I meant to say we have no significant concerns and are looking forward to a great time.

Let me know what you hear about the Odyssey

Hi,

Have just come back from 13 days diving at Truk, staying at Blue lagoon.

Like others before the storm I was concerned about how conditions were and found that there was very limited information from people actually there, apart from the live aboards. I said I'd report back when I returned so here it is.

Weno is the island you arrive on and where Blue lagoon and Truk stop are. There were signs of damage but a lot of work has gone into replacing tin roofs since the storm. I looked hard from the limited drive from the airport to Blue Lagoon and on boat trips after (also on Dublon). As of about two weeks ago about one in six houses seemed to have had roof or other damage. As of yesterday it seemed about one in seven or eight still had damage. Dublon appeared similar and I was told those two islands had the worst damage. The local stores and schools (that I saw) were all open and most of the trees blown over had been cut up and are stacked near the roads. Most trees were still up though. I was told the bread fruit crop is badly damaged and that is going to be a major problem for locals in the future.People appeared to be going about there normal lives. Power was on the whole time I was there. Internet was up and down, though down for three days at the resort from last Friday.Back up yesterday.

Blue Lagoon,
As someone reported two weeks ago, Blue Lagoon is now operating normally. I have been on Thorfinn twice and Blue Lagoon three times. There was no difference in the accomodation services and diving at Blue Lagoon over the last two weeks compared to my prior trips and no shortages of any kind. Air con working, restaurant normal and no difference to the resort apart from one of the two covered decks where they have barbeques currently being rebuilt because it was blown down. The gardens looked the same having been cleaned up (with the help of tourists as previously reported).There were five dive boats available and one being repaired. The feel of the place was just as safe and relaxed as my prior trips. Boats from Truk Stop seemed to be operating too (and Thorfinn), but I didnt speak to anyone from there.

Pretty much the only hassle was the internet which kept going down at the resort end of town. If you are not getting a response, that is why. There is no problem otherwise.

Diving.

We did 31 dives over the last two weeks, from the shallow wrecks to The San Francisco and Aikoku at around 60m. Visibility varied from very good to average and compared pretty much with my previous experiences. Visibilty may have been a little worse than usual, but then again I have two friends who went in early March who said visibility was not as good as our previous trips, and that was before the storm. There were about fifteen divers at Blue Lagoon last week.

From what I saw, the Fujikawa has both masts down at about a 30 degree angle, the superstructure was pretty bad two years ago and may have collapsed more due to the storm, or time or both. The Shinkoku has had the bridge partly collapse, and the Aikoku has further collapsed at the front of the wreck (at the break). I noticed no other storm damage to the wrecks. Coral was just as good (surprisingly on the shallow wrecks).

In short we had a great time.

I certainly don't wish to seem to underplay the difficulties anyone may have after the storm and for a poor place like Chuuk any damage is hard, and the breadfruit will be a problem. And I dont comment on any of the criminal acts which some people commited. We were taken by boat to where the remains of Siren was and our guide said he thought the local villagers did it. Quite sad.

However if you are planning a dive trip to Truk, based on my experience there is no reason to delay. Blue Lagoon at least is working as normal, Thorfinn seems to be too (their dive boats were out). I never felt threatened in any way. I didn't go into town at night. I never have. Nor did I go to areas of Moscow, New York or Washington that I was told would not be worth the risk at night on my own (or parts of Sydney for that matter).

I hope this might help those who, like me, are trying get information that is up to date.

cheers

Paolo

Last edited:
The Oddessey is extended in the yard, I'm told. It won't be available for my July trip. I hear they will be running in August though. A group of us were going & the last minute changes were too much to overcome at this late date.

I figured it would be, I was there when the damage happened and saw the extent of it and I felt July was way too optimistic. The ship was full of water up to and into the lower cabins... Good to know she is in the yard and will be repaired.

Any update on the Siren yet? ETA on being back in action / bookable? Thanks!

As Akimbo mentions, the Truk Siren is no more. However, Wordwide Dive & Sail (owners of Siren Fleet) are bringing a new boat to Truk in 2016:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/th...-sail-siren-master-fleets-returning-truk.html

Assuming it will be a fair bit of the same crew as the Siren (whom I spent the better part of two weeks with back in March) I would highly recommend them.

I just spoke to Donna @ South Pacific Island Travel. They are taking bookings on Odyssey for the end of July. I can't go and there are spots available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom