Mares Abyss 22 Regulator and Mares Abyss Octopus. Good combination for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danman132x

Registered
Reaction score
Mares Abyss Octopus 416504
Mares Abyss 22 Regulator 416134

What does everyone think of this combo? I can get both around 600 dollars. Leisurepro likes to juggle their prices around I see. Going to get my certification in the next couple weeks and will be starting of diving in natural springs here in florida and some of the beach at first. So far I've read good reviews on both, very dependable it seems. I will be calling the shops in my area if they service them, since I read not as many places service Mares.

danman132x,

Abyss 22 is one of the best regulators on the market. We swear by them up here in the cold water, in Florida you will be more than fine. Why don't you give some of your local shops a call on the regulators too instead of just buying from Leisurepro right off the bat? Most places should be able to service Mares regs.

Cheers,
Doug

I think it must be the best option. Bought 2 sets second hand, had the serviced at a Mares agent and they have worked beautifully ever since. Wanted to "upgrade" to the new model but were told nothing but the outer face have changed since it was released. Dealer said he'll personally buy them fom me if I'd like to go ahead and make this mistake. Have the Abyss 22 regulator and octo with old MR22 1st stage.
So yes, for new diver definately as you do not need to upgrade your equipment as you progress, suitable for any condition.

These regs were the first I bought about 5 years ago. No complaints so far, and although I normally dive something else now, I often lend these out to a friend or two.

Dito what I-Torch said.

Mike D

I love my Abyss 22! Fantastic reg.

Pieces of advice, though:
1) try to buy local. remember those LDSs are the ones making your local dives possible and will be providing you with bits and pieces of gear that you need NOW long term. Also, can be a good place to meet buddies.
2) Get certified before you buy a regulator. Do your confined water in the rental gear, maybe even your open water dives... try several regs if you have the option.

I use the abyss 3-5x per week with no issues at all. I love that reg set up. I dive primarily in S Florida and it is the set up we recommend to students as well.

MS

Mares Abyss Octopus 416504
Mares Abyss 22 Regulator 416134

What does everyone think of this combo? I can get both around 600 dollars. Leisurepro likes to juggle their prices around I see. Going to get my certification in the next couple weeks and will be starting of diving in natural springs here in florida and some of the beach at first. So far I've read good reviews on both, very dependable it seems. I will be calling the shops in my area if they service them, since I read not as many places service Mares.
in my opinion buy the abyss 22 with the mv octopus. as a beginner it's never allowed to you to give the octopus to anyone. I'm a pro diver and the mv is more than enough even in cold water unless you're planning for technical diving

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

I have a MR22 Abyss with Voltrex Octopus, 17 years old and still breathing perfectly. Just make sure you have them serviced and look after them properly they last and last. I have the wet CWD which keeps the internals pristine (I dive in cold silty water). I recently upgraded to Miflex hoses which are far superior to the stiff rubber things originally fitted but I think Mares fit these as standard on most of their regs now.
Just bought MR52 Carbon purely because they are a hell of a lot lighter than the old Abyss which is good for the jaw and for travelling.

Back
Top Bottom