Diving to maximum 30 feet and Flying the same day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May 30 through June 2 - I figured 30 feet was worst case - I have never been there.

As mentioned over on the ongoing BHB Trolls thread, my wife and I have been planning to do the night dive on Monday June 1 (high tide 8:30 pm) and then another dive on Tuesday morning (high tide 8:33 am). This could be a party! We don't get down there very often either.

The max depth at BHB is right about 20 ft. I think I may have hit 22 feet once. Unless you spend your whole dive laying in the sand south of the east span, you will spend most of your dive between 8 and 15 feet. I would say the vast majority of my dives at BHB average in the 10-12 foot range. I have spent entire 2.5 hour dives in less than 8 feet of water.

Stay in the 10-15 foot range for a little under 2 hours and the NOAA ascent to altitude tables will let you fly 9 minutes after you surface.

Another option to consider is diving BHB in the morning on the 31st and be out of the water by 8:15 or so to have the day with your wife. You'll need to rent a tank on Saturday evening for that.

There will also likely be a night dives at BHB on the 1st, with a possibility for a dusk/night dive on the 31st. The early/late tides give you lots of options other than just Tuesday morning.

Just to add a little noise to the discussion, wikipedia cites a study that indicates "with approximately 40–50 rapid decompression events occurring worldwide annually."

I thought I would add a comment on this for folks concerned about this.

According to the Air Transportation Action Group, there were 37.4 million flights scheduled in 2014. If we accept the upper number of 50 decompression incidents per year, that means the percentage of flights that include a decompression incident (and thus the probablility that the plane you are flying will have such an event after you have been diving) is about 0.00000144%.

Call me crazy, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Not to be captain obvious, but Nitrox could help... EAN 40 (which does not require an advanced cert), at a depth of 20 feet, would give equivalent air depth of less than 10 feet, and you could use John's tables... or if you can get EAN 50, you could have a nice 7.5 hour dive at 20 feet without on-gassing any N2 before you hit the CNS limits...

Like a couple of others have said, you won't get to 30 feet at BHB unless you bring a shovel on the dive! I took my wife there for her final open water certification dive, and we were searching hard to find 20 feet which was the minimum depth allowed for SDI. Most of the dive we were in 8-14 ft of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom