Yes, I vacation dive in the North East

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tye1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I grew up in Boston, started diving in my early twenties, eventually becoming an instructor. There is something really unique about the shore diving in the North East and of course, the people you meet whilst doing it. Having lived in Southern California for the last twelve years, things are very different here. Yea the water is warmer, but diving is so much more difficult and costly for some reason. Even shore diving is much more challenging due to the constant wave action, making it a bit less fun then jumping off the back of a boat or better yet, hitting up Catalina for a walk into the dive park. Both of which are expensive endeavors for people who wish to just have fun without the cost. I can think of many other things I'd rather spend $100+ dollars on, then two dives. The ocean is right there, what's the deal on spending money to get wet?

So, for the last two summers, I've been traveling back to the North East, catching up on my roots and honestly, having the MOST fun. I've been shooting a series of video's on my "adventures" and figured this was a great place to share them and maybe start up a conversation about why so many divers who live in New England, don't dive in New England.

https://vimeo.com/102304893

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zBIB9leThg

I'll have more video's soon.

thanks for reading!

Do you particularly like diving difficult conditions?

Have you tried the limited shore diving offerings in Florida, such as Lauderdale by the Sea? I haven't, but curious as to whether you had.

Richard.

Awesome vid, great perspective. I had only dove warm water until this year and I have quickly realized that diving the NE isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be!

My wife and I have stayed in Rockport numerous times and love the town. Since I recently got re-certified after a very long hiatus it is on my list during my next visit.

Nice video! I’ve been diving NE since I was 16 years, that was back in 1968, if I couldn't dive NE I couldn't dive at all! The old timers used to say " If you can dive NE you can dive anywhere." I think that’s still true today.

It's a similar story here in Northern California. Very cold and sometimes nasty conditions, but we love it.
Visiting Rockport is on my bucket list of places to go. I'll be sure to bring my dive gear.

Have you tried the limited shore diving offerings in Florida, such as Lauderdale by the Sea? I haven't, but curious as to whether you had.

I've spent a lot of time diving off boats in the Lauderdale area, but never tried shore diving. I never saw anyone doing it and the local dive shops never mentioned anything about it. So I did the boat thing and every time I went, it left a sour taste in my mouth. Not just due to the cost, but also because it was always a total cluster *@#!. From the weather changing mid day to the horrible divers who'd split up the moment they hit the water.

Do you particularly like diving difficult conditions?

I like challenge for sure, but I also like doing something most people wouldn't dream of doing. :wink:

Enjoyed your video. I've been diving Capeann and The North shore since my teens. There is no place I would rather dive regularly. I always considered myself lucky to grow up so close to the ocean and be able to enjoy the pleasures of boating, fishing, and especially diving Capeann whenever I want. During the summer I'll get up before sunrise and dive some the local spots before going to work at 9:00. There is no better way to start the day. It's tough to have a bad day at the office when the mornings start of so perfectly.
I prefer it over the Caribean. The only other places to me that come close are the Outer Banks and Thousand Islands in the St. Lawrence.

I prefer it over the Caribean.

Now that's an interesting observation. Why? I ask because a number of potential reasons some to mind...

1.) Favoritism/identification with an environment you associate with 'home.'

2.) Familiarity.

3.) Ease of access because it's sort of 'in your back yard.'

4.) Preference for one or more species of marine life you see there.

5.) Something else?

Thing is, I'd like to know your reasons. Might provide some insight into whether it's a destinations others might care to travel to and dive, who aren't local.

Richard.

Now that's an interesting observation. Why? I ask because a number of potential reasons some to mind...

1.) Favoritism/identification with an environment you associate with 'home.'

2.) Familiarity.

3.) Ease of access because it's sort of 'in your back yard.'

4.) Preference for one or more species of marine life you see there.

5.) Something else?

Thing is, I'd like to know your reasons. Might provide some insight into whether it's a destinations others might care to travel to and dive, who aren't local.

Richard.

I would say you pretty you hit the reasons with numbers 1-4. The something else being, because I'm local I can spend alot of time scouting new areas where few if any divers know about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom