At what age did this start happening to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 58 and on all 3 Caribbean liveaboards that I have been, there have been more people older than me than younger. The same story when my wife and I went on the Philippine Siren in January 2011; At 55 and 54 we were the youngest people on the boat.

On the other hand, in the Red Sea and Maldives liveaboards that I have been, people have tended to be younger. But out of the 16 liveaboard cruises that I have been to date, I have been the oldest diver just once - Blue Fin in 2007 on my first Red Sea cruise. I had just celebrated my 52nd and my 25-year old buddy told me that I was the same age as his father (who often buddied him in the UK).

Age is just a number.

The age question hasn't come yet, but people ask if I'm still diving in the caves. I started at 59 and am 67 now, putting hours on the rebreather so I can do a cave cross-over course with it.

I know no would ask me and my wife (mid 50's) she still runs marathons and is determined to catch the 72 year old guy still does a marathon in under 4 hrs. I think the 50+ divers end up diving more because we tend to have more available cash for this $port. Lets face it travelling the world to cool wet places isnt cheap.

I'm 75 y.o. Started open water classes in Jan 2014. Still chasing those 3d & 4th open water dives. Weather, instructor availability, hernia that acted up and now pneumonia has slowed my chase, but in a couple of weeks.....

I know no would ask me and my wife (mid 50's) she still runs marathons and is determined to catch the 72 year old guy still does a marathon in under 4 hrs. I think the 50+ divers end up diving more because we tend to have more available cash for this $port. Lets face it travelling the world to cool wet places isnt cheap.

Not only that but at 63 I realize just how many things could go wrong with my body and force me to quit so I don't want to miss any opportunities while I can still dive:)

Good luck Bev'sBoy just don't push it too hard. Better to be sure you are fit for the dive so you can dive lots later:flowers:

I am 65 and my wife 64. We just both qualified a few months ago as IANTD Advanced Nitrox Divers. This was not done in order to make crazy things but in order to continue our learning process. It happens, once in awhile that the NDL is attained and we felt that, to plan how to deco and to do it with enriched air would be a plus. We really enjoyed it and we were glad to refresh a lot of things. We have been diving for 25 years now. As previously said, I am not systématically the oldest diver on dive liveboards.:)

Will be 61 in a few months, I try to keep myself healthy and reasonably fit but never been a gym in my life. Eat well and healthy and don't overindulge, everything in moderation. In the groups of people I dive with locally I might be the oldest, I never think of asking anyone what age they are, it's not important, their experience is.

I hope I am still diving when my daughter reaches her 1,000th dive hopefully in another 10-15 yrs

Got my 0W 2 days before my 71st birthday. I plan to dive for another 15 years or so. Just finished my Nitrox this week because my Dr said it might be easier on my cardio system. The only problem I have is a back problem that limits what I can lift up the ladder. So I just make arrangements to remove unit and weights in the water and hand them up on the boat. I just make arrangements ahead of time.

<< 62 .... still diving..... arrived at a dive boat a few years back and there was an 80yr old woman waiting to go diving. Said she had been diving 50 something years. She decided not to go because the water was not flat. I get that....

61, been diving 5 years. I have been both one of the youngest and the oldest on the boat. Nobody has ever made anything of it. I have been diving with a 72 year old before, he was an awesome diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom